BNSF to Test Natural Gas Locomotives

KFRCanuk

From what I have read the locomotive would be pulling a special car right behind it that can hold Liquified Natural Gas (LNG).

You can see the CN version from 2012.

http://hhpinsight.com/rail/2012/10/cn-progress-on-lng-trains/

This is pretty brilliant for a couple of reasons

1) NG gas trades at about $1.50 less per gallon

2) BNSF has a delivery network in place. I'm sure most lines are close to NG fields.

3) 30% of Natural Gas is often burned(flared) at wells for various reasons. States do not get royalties on flared gas. States like North Dakota want to find an alternative use for flared gas. Pulling up railcars to a well and harnessing flared gas seems like a wonderful thing.

I can only hope that this will make diesel cheaper for my Passat TDI.

Great article and as usual CN is ahead of the pack in finding efficiencies across its network.. this is a 10% position in my portfolio which I plan to hold for life!

S

From what I have read the locomotive would be pulling a special car right behind it that can hold Liquified Natural Gas (LNG).

You can see the CN version from 2012.

http://hhpinsight.com/rail/2012/10/cn-progress-on-lng-trains/

This is pretty brilliant for a couple of reasons

1) NG gas trades at about $1.50 less per gallon

2) BNSF has a delivery network in place. I'm sure most lines are close to NG fields.

3) 30% of Natural Gas is often burned(flared) at wells for various reasons. States do not get royalties on flared gas. States like North Dakota want to find an alternative use for flared gas. Pulling up railcars to a well and harnessing flared gas seems like a wonderful thing.

I can only hope that this will make diesel cheaper for my Passat TDI.