Vanity Fair piece on Bill Ackman

Liberty

my spidey sense is tingling. something stinks with this whole debacle.

They sure went out of their way to make the whole piece a big ad hominem on Ackman that covers very little else.

They are all dicks!  I think all of the guys mentioned are completely out of touch with humanity...Ackman, Loeb, Ichan, Hempton...I don't know Adrangi. 

These guys have egos up the wazu, and they aren't any different than they probably were in high school, except they've got their degrees now, enormous wealth, and for some God-foresaken reason they all live or have homes in the Hamptons.  Are the Hampton's douche-central now?  Cheers!

Quote: Are the Hampton's douche-central now?  Cheers!

Well.....on the list of the most expensive homes in finance:

#16 Carl Icahn's Lily Pond Lane Hamptons estate

I can hear Carl telling his  driver to run Ackman's bicycle off the road.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-expensive-homes-in-the-world-of-finance-2012-7?op=1#ixzz2MCh6KsYh

they are clowns, living in their own bubble.

actually, it's a shame that they receive any news coverage at all. must be a slow day at Vanity Fair. then again, we encourage this type of news by clicking on it.  :(

Just posted this on the HLF board, but as it relates to Ackman & Icahn

Herbalife to increase the size of its board and nominate two Icahn representatives for election to board

Thursday, February 28, 2013 07:26:34 PM (GMT)

HLF announced that it has reached an agreement with Carl C. Icahn, Icahn Enterprises Holdings L.P. and certain related entities (collectively the “Icahn Parties”), which beneficially own, in the aggregate 14,015,151 shares of Herbalife common stock, representing approximately 13.6% of the company’s outstanding shares.

As part of the agreement, Herbalife will increase the size of its board from nine to eleven members immediately before the 2013 Annual General Meeting of Shareholders

Herbalife’s board of Directors will nominate two individuals to the company’s board of Directors, designated by the Icahn Parties and approved by the company’s Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee.

Under the terms of the agreement, the Icahn Parties have agreed to, among other things, abide by certain standstill provisions and vote their shares in support of all of the board’s director nominees.

The Icahn Parties have the right to increase the size of their ownership position in Herbalife up to 25% of the outstanding common stock.

HLF shares remain halted, pending dissemination

Herbalife to increase the size of its board and nominate two Icahn representatives for election to board

HLF announced that it has reached an agreement with Carl C. Icahn, Icahn Enterprises Holdings L.P. and certain related entities (collectively the “Icahn Parties”), which beneficially own, in the aggregate 14,015,151 shares of Herbalife common stock, representing approximately 13.6% of the company’s outstanding shares.

As part of the agreement, Herbalife will increase the size of its board from nine to eleven members immediately before the 2013 Annual General Meeting of Shareholders

Herbalife’s board of Directors will nominate two individuals to the company’s board of Directors, designated by the Icahn Parties and approved by the company’s Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee.

Under the terms of the agreement, the Icahn Parties have agreed to, among other things, abide by certain standstill provisions and vote their shares in support of all of the board’s director nominees.

The Icahn Parties have the right to increase the size of their ownership position in Herbalife up to 25% of the outstanding common stock.

I hope Ackman was smart enough to collar his short position, because he's screwed on this one if he didn't. 

And if he blows up again, what do you think these guys will be doing...sitting in the Hamptons pouring Courvoisier into their Lalique glassware, toking up with Snoop-Dog, and eating Cheetos off of Wedgewood china while their hookers prance around calling them "Papi"!  Cheers!

Parsad

don't you think its a little premature to say bill is dead

i think he shorted when the price was higher than now (i can be wrong). obviously this story is not over, we don't know for sure yet who is  right who is wrong.

but i hear ya, short can be dangerous. and if the enemies of bill decide to buy out hlf, each pitch in few hundred million ... that would be very painful for bill

EDIT: they are both (carl and bill) smart man, i am sure carl have already made his money and somehow lock in his gain, yet just waiting for bill to crumble.

hy

Parsad

don't you think its a little premature to say bill is dead

i think he shorted when the price was higher than now (i can be wrong). obviously this story is not over, we don't know for sure yet who is  right who is wrong.

but i hear ya, short can be dangerous. and if the enemies of bill decide to buy out hlf, each pitch in few hundred million ... that would be very painful for bill

EDIT: they are both (carl and bill) smart man, i am sure carl have already made his money and somehow lock in his gain, yet just waiting for bill to crumble.

hy

I think he's in trouble if he didn't collar this thing when Loeb or Icahn got involved.  With Icahn on the board now, nothing but a government investigation is going to hammer the stock.  Icahn's going to get permission, or maybe he has already, to increase his stake and it will be granted.  This is a personal vendetta now for Icahn, and being the bully that he is, he's going to make Ackman pay through the nose.  It may not kill Ackman, but he's going to get hurt financially on this one.  Cheers!

Sorry, at the end of that press release it says:

The Icahn Parties have the right to increase the size of their ownership position in Herbalife up to 25% of the outstanding common stock. HLF shares remain halted, pending dissemination.

So he's already been granted the right to buy up to 25% or nearly double his stake.  Cheers!

I hope Ackman was smart enough to collar his short position, because he's screwed on this one if he didn't. 

And if he blows up again, what do you think these guys will be doing...sitting in the Hamptons pouring Courvoisier into their Lalique glassware, toking up with Snoop-Dog, and eating Cheetos off of Wedgewood china while their hookers prance around calling them "Papi"!  Cheers!

Now I understand why you entered the business :)

Now I understand why you entered the business :)

What!  Didn't you know that's what happens with these guys?  ;D  That's what LessthanIV was referring to.  The hooker that Spitzer got caught cheating with, used to stay with Chanos in the Hamptons and called him "Uncle". 

They used to be like Louis Winthorpe and his friend Todd from "Trading Places".  Then came the "Gordon Gecko" type...who I believe was Stone's portrayal of Icahn.  And now we have this motley crew with neighbours like JayZ and Puff Daddy, and their heroic or satirical portraits in Vanity Fair.  Thank God Buffett lives in Omaha and Prem in Toronto!  Cheers! 

What!  Didn't you know that's what happens with these guys?  ;D  That's what LessthanIV was referring to.  The hooker that Spitzer got caught cheating with, used to stay with Chanos in the Hamptons and called him "Uncle". 

What the..? Is this word of mouth or public record?

What the..? Is this word of mouth or public record?

Public record...all over the place.  Cheers!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/item_UtBcMesvG54xzPnzzxoqVJ

if you study the past relationships between;  ichan, ackman, einhorn, chanos, stienhardt, milken, boesky, peretz, loeb, cohen and many other network associates ... it sure becomes hard for me to believe all this public infighting is for real.

and that's a great question,  is it for real?

the oldest games within this network are bear raiding, pipes and stock parking. if you take a step back from all the media attention and realize that ackmans 8-9 month short sale which would appear to be in the money, is the main reason affording ichan the opportunity to buy up to 25% of the stock at significant discounts and get 2 board seats ... it all seems a little strange? all this fighting but both are probably in the money right now.

i silently wonder if all these clowns won't find themselves huddled around a hamptons fire pit reliving old stories one day. 

if you study the past relationships between;  ichan, ackman, einhorn, chanos, stienhardt, milken, boesky, peretz, loeb, cohen and many other network associates ... it sure becomes hard for me to believe all this public infighting is for real.

and that's a great question,  is it for real?

the oldest games within this network are bear raiding, pipes and stock parking. if you take a step back from all the media attention and realize that ackmans 8-9 month short sale which would appear to be in the money, is the main reason affording ichan the opportunity to buy up to 25% of the stock at significant discounts and get 2 board seats ... it all seems a little strange? all this fighting but both are probably in the money right now.

i silently wonder if all these clowns won't find themselves huddled around a hamptons fire pit reliving old stories one day.

Bullseye !!!!!

Of course, the dreams of many are to get in on this -- and not just for the money.  Sociopaths feel okay about their actions when they can convince others they're not just not bad people but they're great people. 

Remember, when Michael Lewis wrote "Liar's Poker", he said he thought it would be an indictment of Wall Street.  Instead, many made it their dream to get in on the game.  Same with Gordon Gecko / "Wall Street".

This was also apparently true about that book Munger used to recommend by Cialdini -- "Influence".  Munger said it was most popular among those looking to use the techniques -- not those wanting to prevent themselves from being used by them.

Predictable, I guess. 

But, like the man swindled by the swindler, the last thing most people want to do is admit they were suckered.

That's why I like Buffett's rule:  "If you've been at the table for more than 10 minutes and you don't know who the patsy it, you're the patsy." 

The funny thing, like the swindled man, the last thing the 'patsy' seems to do is get the hell away from the table. 

I guess Munger would simply say: "Don't waste your time with these people."

Anyway, excellent insight "LessthanIV".

EDIT:  I'd like to say that one good thing about this board is that -- at least it seems to me -- the "swindlers" don't last long.  The good guys seem to win.  I like good guys and I like winning.  I keep coming back.

I agree. This board is proof good guys can win big. However, I think I may be a bit of a dick from working on Bay Street for too long :P

I haven't provided much to this board, but I've learned a lot just lurking.

I've actually learned a lot watching Ackman's CP Rail interviews, so it's interesting to see another POV.