Bill Gates AMA

racemize

What was ridiculous is how he was awarded reddit gold for every post. One thing that stood out to me is that Microsoft is innovative but they don't do a good job with marketing. For instance the WINFS was a very interesting idea and they also did a touchscreen awhile ago but were never confident with selling it.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting this, lots of interesting information, I found this article buried in there, makes me understand better what all the recent concern about non-sentient AI is due to. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/0952813X.2014.895111

From the introduction: "Autonomous systems have the potential to create tremendous benefits for humanity (Diamandis & Kotler, 2012) but they may also cause harm by acting in ways not anticipated by their designers."

I'm just as worried about autonomous systems acting in ways in accordance with the goals of their designers as I am about the above problem.  There are policing and military applications for swarms of deadly killer AI bots that are the stuff of horror movies. Some of these applications don't even require human level intelligence and are based on insect models. These types of things are already under development and will be deployed long before human+ level AI is a reality.  For a good fictional account of this type of thing read:

"Kill Decision" by Daniel Suarez.