Short, But Good Interview With Patrick Byrne

Parsad

I believe in re-legalizing drugs, both from the pernicious consequences of the failed "War on Drugs" (we cannot keep drugs out of our prisons, so what makes us think we can police them out of our cities?)...

He definitely watches "The Wire".  His stock just went up in value (in my book).

All you need to know about the war on drugs not working is a quick visit to Vancouver's Main & Hastings area.  It's a complete disgrace for this city.  Even the police no longer enforce the law when someone is arrested with possession of a small amount of narcotic.  Anything that can be deemed for personal use is now no longer even worth an arrest.

This area used to be where the hustle and bustle of the city took place 20-30 years ago.  The major center of the downtown core here in Vancouver.  Today the area code is home to the most improverished, disease-stricken, mentally-ill populace per capita in all of North America...the highest incidence of HIV-infection is in this six-block radius...on par with infection rates in the worst parts of Africa!

Several different municipal and provincial governments have done zilch to help the area.  Each swinging axes at the other party's legs and blaming them for the sad situation.  Truth is the entire city is culpable for what has happened here.  Wait till the 2010 Olympics arrive and the media gets to see this area first hand! 

Every day I take the bus from my home to my office and it passes through this area.  I can't believe this even exists here.  In my visits to various large cities in North America, I have never seen such decrepit surroundings and people allowed to live in such squalor.  An absolute abomination in God's eyes that as a society we cannot help these people. 

Yes, there are a few private organizations that help in the area, but it seems as though most of society blames these folks for their own condition.  Much easier to raise funds for a new Children's Hospital than to increase funding and resources for a crack addict.  Funny enough, raising $50M for a completely unnecessary pedestrian and cycling bridge into downtown has plenty of support.  We have five existing bridges or viaducts that enter the city, but the cyclists and pedestrians would like their own.  Nice!  Cheers!

Jim admitted as much in a videotape that was not supposed to get public, but which I put up on DeepCapture, and to which I pointed the attention of some folks at "The Daily Show," who used it in their confrontation with Jim Cramer.

Ah...so Patrick Byrne did help out The Daily Show. I wonder if The Daily Show and Patrick will work together and do another piece of naked short selling.

Parsad, the Main and Hastings area of Vancouver has been in decline a little longer than 20 to 30 years. More like 50 plus years that being said it is a travesty that conditions like that exist in the midst of such ample plenty. As Patrick so aptly described the "War on Drugs" was lost before it was started. Drug addiction is the source of a huge portion of petty crime in our fair city some estimates put it as high as 70-80%. Drug addicts are breaking into houses shopping, lifting etc.Their suppliers are shooting each other and innocent bystanders in market controll struggles and the funds eventualy find themselves back into the prime heroin sources which is Afghanistan and Pakistan and fund the terrorist activities which send Canadian boys home in body bags. Heroin and other illegal drugs would cost as much as aspirin if they were legally available with a prescription. It has also been said that most of the the hetero sexual aids transmission is occuring because of prostitution being the favorite means of employment for female  addicts. It seems to me by legalizing drugs and strictly controlling there access we 1 reduce crime by a huge margin 2 stop the most important source of funding for terrorists 3 dramatically reduce the incidence Aids in the population, I certainly could come up with a much more extensive list. The downside is that a small additional percentage of individuals MAY become addicted if the stigma of illegality were removed. Given that the majority of negative consequences for the addicted evolve form its illegality as opposed to the addiction itself I for one would support the trade off.