The AIG Story - Maurice Greenberg & Lawrence Cunningham

Liberty

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Got this in the mail today. Guess I'll find out for myself if it's good or not.  :P Will report here when I'm done.

Liberty,

thoughts on the book?

I've read about 1/3 of it and then set it aside to focus on a few other books (I tend to always read a few things in parallel).

So far, I feel like I've learned a lot about Greenberg and how he got his start in the business and how AIG was formed, but not so much about the current incarnation of the company, so there are very few useful insights so far. Maybe that'll come later in the book..

It does sound a bit like "Hank the super genius who saw what nobody else saw and made it work through sheer hard work and determination" at times, and I'm not sure if it's getting into hagiography territory or if it's just a fair description of how good Greenberg is (was?).

It's not written in the most griping style, but it's not terrible either. I'm witholding judgement for now, though...

• 2 months later...

I've read this one http://www.amazon.com/Fallen-Giant-Amazing-Greenberg-History/dp/0470480025/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379998540&sr=8-2&keywords=The+AIG+Story

The first version, though, which is from 2006 ... :o The 2nd ed is from 2009, a world apart.

In the first half of the book the author writes about the history of AIG starting in 1919 in Shanghai with C. V. Starr, his entrepreneurial spirit, the historical background at the time, going through the war, communists take over and so on.  I found it to be both interesting and entertaining.  Greenberg gets his own credit later on. 

I wonder how much weight Starr gets in Greenberg's own book.