Sources for ideas

Packer16

What sources for ideas (outside of this board) do folks use?  I use Value Line (paper - I am a dinosaur) as a top level screen and look at holdings of other value investors I like (Fairholme, Baupost, etc.).  Has anyone subscribed to the Deep Value letter?  TIA

Packer

I'm guessing you've heard of Dataroma but I'll post the link anyway for people who may not have:

http://www.dataroma.com/m/home.php

For those who don't know, it's a listing of the holdings (by # of shares & increase/decrease) of many of the top value investors (WEB, PW, Ackman, etc.).

I don't think it's updated regularlly but it's a decent resource for raw ideas I think. :)

So far, I've had more success finding stocks that I eventually end up buying by screening for profitable businesses with high ROE/ROA and sifting through the results one by one. If the ones I like are too expensive, I keep them on a watchlist, if they're cheap enough, then I'll buy them. I'd rather look for quality businesses first, then worry about whether they're cheap.

I like the watchlist idea....sadly all the ones on my watchlist went up....they're not undervalued anymore AND I missed out. Damn you Samuel Adams!

Frankly, I just stumble around, for ideas, and they just randomly come to me, and something clicks. Usually it is a company that I have heard of know well but suddenly I just start seeing it differently. It's like developing feelings for a girl (or guy) that you've been in the "friend zone" with.  :)

One way that I've developed ideas is by actually starting out trying to research a different company. I started studying Citrix Systems and ended up with a long position in Red Hat. I started studying MSFT, and noted how much it was struggling to enter search, and bought Google. I looked at Actuant but was like....wait Parker-Hannifin is better. But I'm a novice investor, so feel free to ignore this post. :)

I've attempted Buffett's "Start with the A's" twice now.  I even started with the Z's once (my thinking was his A's comment went viral through the investing boards, blogs and general media that lots of people would start at A). 

I have yet to make it to B...............or Y that other time.

Adam at valueuncovered made it through the OTC market http://www.valueuncovered.com/a-journey-through-the-pink-sheets-3698-stocks-later .

He's got a great blog if you haven't seen it.  He's been pretty quite for a while now (lack of ideas) but his blog along with Nate's oddballstocks are my 2 favourite for sure.  Always quality posts at both.