"Innovation"

Guest valueInv

Guest valueInv

People like to throw around the word "innovation" like its candy. So I decided to start a thread to track some of the "innovations" companies are releasing.

Guest valueInv

http://mashable.com/2013/01/25/google-glass-nda/

"Google warns participants not to use Glass while driving, biking, using sharp objects, or playing sports, and to use caution while walking and crossing streets. If they have any concern about the safety of using Glass, Google asks participants to stop using them and return them immediately."

Please use only when you're sitting in front of a computer screen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest valueInv

It has an element that I usually find in great product - a simplicity and obviousness. I can see it being combined with a mechanical arm to create some amazing things.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure where to put this, but it's interesting so I'll put it here.  These glasses "cure" red/green color blindness.  They were invented to help doctors, surgeons, and phlebotomists, see blood vessels, it was only later that it was discovered that color blind people could distinguish between red and green while wearing them.  There is all kinds of other uses for the technology that is under development.  Such as light bulbs (for dressing rooms in clothing stores for instance) that make you look younger. As well as light bulbs with the equivalent effect as the glasses I mentioned above without the glasses. 

How Mark Changizi Conquered Colorblindness With Glasses

The web site for the glasses: o2amp.com

The research company that created them: http://2ai.org/

• 1 month later...

The thing that annoys me about this is that Google has created a 3rd party API, but for now is only allowing 3rd party developers to create free apps without advertisements.  That seems very short-sighted to me.

Guest valueInv

The thing that annoys me about this is that Google has created a 3rd party API, but for now is only allowing 3rd party developers to create free apps without advertisements.  That seems very short-sighted to me.

They've got much bigger problems than that

No joke, he is serious.  He isn't the only one who now thinks warp drives are possible.  Even Elon Musk mentioned warp drives as something in his sights for SpaceX long term.  Checkout the chapter starting on page 90 of this paper.  The thing about technology is that while most people will overestimate the short term progress they vastly underestimate the medium-long term progress.

This is crazy. Yes, it was published on April 1st, but I haven't seen a correction as to it being an April Fool's joke.

A NASA scientist claims to be on the verge of faster-than-light travel: is he for real?

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-03/warp-factor?single-page-view=true

Without reading the article, there is the phenomena called spooky action at a distance.  Linked particles appear to "communicate" at faster than the speed of light in a mirror image fashion at the time the "spin" of one of the particles is measured.  However, information outside of that closed system can't be communicated faster than the limit of light speed.