Icahn Says No Respect For Ackman After Herbalife Bet

Parsad

I just watched the clip. Wow. How funny were these two?  I think Carl successfully dragged Ackman down to his level of bickering. While Ackman felt the need to defend himself which i can understand, i think it slightly hurt his reputation arguing back at the same level as Icahn. 

...and I like the fact the MBIA got a little air time during the dispute.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Icahn is an asshole.

I completely agree.  He engaged in a lot of really inappropriate behaviour... especially when he accused the CNBC host of bulling him, didn't disclose whether or not he had a long position in Herbalife (while accusing Ackman of talking his book and trying to conduct a bear raid!!! what hypocrisy!!!), used language inappropriate for broadcast, and starting digging up an old grudge instead of talking about Herbalife.

I really want to see Icahn lose money on this.  Apparently he has no position in Herbalife now.  (Though honestly I think that the longs are going to win in this battle.)

I think that Ackman was pretty civil about all of this.  If you were mean, you would rip Icahn a new asshole for being a thief, hypocrite, bully, racist, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why Icahn still attracts so much attention and respect. Remember the Clorox bid? Did he have the financial means to get that done? There are tons of these other "bids" that he put out there over time. Then his tone on CNBC and pretty much harrassing the poor reporter after begging to come talking on his show during the Ackman interview. I sure hope that Ackman will win over this guy.

Anyway, this seems to be creating pressure on JCP this morning since Ackman is the main supporter and with some panicking could create a nice entry point.

Cardboard

This whole thing is quite amusing.  It's the equivalent of a battle between divas for finance and investing geeks.  It would be great if Icahn points at the camera and says to Ackman directly:

"I could break you, mate. In two pieces over my knees. You know it. I know it. I could buy you six times over. I could dump the stock just to burn your ass! But I happen to want the company, and I want your block of shares. I'm announcing a tender offer at 65 tomorrow. I'm expecting your commitment."

Well the gist of Carl Ichan's position as he mentioned on-air is he is putting his personal money in Herbal life. About $500mm. It is mainly long Call and short Put options, in various time tranches. His average cost is around $36??

He talked about an LBO / going private. When asked about tender offer, he didnt get into details? which kind of makes me think he is going to do it!

I have no dog in this fight and I am more than willing to sit it out. My thoughts are that unless Carl can orchestrate a squeeze he loses. My guess is that this is a pyramid scheme which will eventualy fail so Carl can only make money if he can force the Ackman to buy his position. IF Carl ends up holding his position he loses because he is trapped in a losing investment unless but Carl is wily and has very deep pockets.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...