Dormant Assets

giofranchi

Sportgamma,

thank you very much for posting the BusinessWeek article!

It should be a fantastic piece of education and inspiration for every businessman! And it is also very funny: I have found myself laughing many a time!

Just great!  :)

giofranchi

I recommend the video as well. Ergen is quite a character.

Charlie Ergen: His management style, why he likes to sign company checks and other tidbits

http://blogs.denverpost.com/techknowbytes/2012/06/08/charlie-ergen-files-management-style-tidbits/4858/

In describing his management style, Ergen said, “I’m more of a micromanager than to let somebody just do it.”

“You either trust someone day one until they prove you wrong, or you say I don’t trust you until you show me I can trust you. I’m the latter,” he said.

Up until seven or eight years ago, Ergen signed every check at Dish. He said board members even joked that they would pass a resolution so he couldn’t sign checks any more.

“It’s the single easiest way to stay on top of your business, because if you know where the money is going, you know most everything about that business,” Ergen said.

He moved from signing every check to signing $5,000 checks, then to $10,000 checks, and now he’s at signing $100,000, except for those that involve recently acquired Blockbuster, where he still signs $10,000 checks.

“It takes me an hour or two every week and I have a feel for the business and I can ask questions,” he said.

Up until seven or eight years ago, Ergen signed every check at Dish. He said board members even joked that they would pass a resolution so he couldn’t sign checks any more.

“It’s the single easiest way to stay on top of your business, because if you know where the money is going, you know most everything about that business,” Ergen said.

He moved from signing every check to signing $5,000 checks, then to $10,000 checks, and now he’s at signing $100,000, except for those that involve recently acquired Blockbuster, where he still signs $10,000 checks.

“It takes me an hour or two every week and I have a feel for the business and I can ask questions,” he said.

In my own very small organization, that’s exactly what I like to do! And now I know it is the right thing to do irrespective of size, from very small to extremely huge!  ;)

giofranchi

Excellent article giofranchi.. sounds like a dilligent and owner-oriented CEO.. but I like their direct competitor more, DirecTV

Well, it is actually possible that they might merge in the future!  ;)

giofranchi

Possibly, but they tried it in the past and were rebuffed. They need a new widely available competitor, like Internet TV, to make a renewed case for it.

I have found the following valuation of DISH Network:

http://www.wikiwealth.com/research:dish

It seems to be accurate and well done: there is a “short term rating”, based on a DCF analysis, and a “long term rating”, based on a SWOT analysis. Furthermore, there is a “Comparative Multiple Analysis”, a “Buffett” analysis, and the calculation of its WACC.

Anyone knows wiki wealth? Do you think it is a reliable source of information?

Thank you!

giofranchi

• 1 month later...

A little bit dated, but still interesting articles, to get a sense of Mr. Ergen's strategy.

giofranchi

A rare interview with Ergen (64min).

http://allthingsd.com/conferences/dive-into-media/livestream/?mod=atd_divemedia2013_300x100_livestreamduringpost

Sportgamma,

thank you very much for posting! Always can count on you for “rare interviews” and interesting articles!

giofranchi

“As time goes on I get more and more convinced that the right method in investment is to put fairly large sums into enterprises which one thinks one knows something about and in the management of which one thoroughly believes. It is a mistake to think that one limits one’s risk by spreading too much between enterprises about which one knows little and has no reason for special confidence.” - John Maynard Keynes

• 10 months later...

Dish Network's frequency gambit gets FCC nod

"The Federal Communications Commission has extended a deadline for Dish Network Corp. to complete a national wireless broadband network, and gave the satellite TV company flexibility in how it can use wireless frequencies.

The FCC on Friday granted a complicated request from Douglas County-based Dish Network (Nasdaq: DISH) that’s a key part of the company’s strategy to acquire more spectrum on which it can launch wireless high-speed Internet and mobile data services.

In return, Dish Network pledged to bid at least $1.56 billion in the FCC’s H-Block auction of frequencies scheduled for Jan. 14, and to lower the power of transmissions on some former TV-station analogue frequencies Dish bought in 2009.

In return, the FCC gave Dish more flexibility in how it uses mobile broadband frequencies and gave it until to 2021 to build a nationwide network. Dish previously had until 2020 to build out its network..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/boosters_bits/2013/12/dish-frequency-gambit-gets-fcc-nod.html?page=all