Danny DeVito: I didn't remember he was so good!!

giofranchi

Thanks. Is the rest of the movie worth watching?

It's pretty good.  It's a comedy though really, not some Oscar-winning drama or anything.  I wouldn't rent it though.  If you have it on Netflix or something, that's probably better. 

One of my favorite movies regarding stocks or the markets is "Trading Places", and I think the underlying social commentary was pretty darn good.  It's a Christmas movie too, so it's always on around this time of year.  Probably the best role Dan Akroyd ever had.  Cheers!

I have the movie "Other People's Money" - It is a romcom centered around an LBO/raider type guy (DeVito) and an opposing lawyer (Miller).  It is a lot of fun and from a business/valuation standpoint, pretty bang on.  The first clip is the heart of it from a finance perspective, but the rest of the story is good and the film gives you a decent perspective on the world of finance of the late 80s.

OPM is to finance what Wall Street was to trading, except with a sense of humour.  If I remember correctly, he gives a Gekko like speech at a shareholders meeting.

Check it out, there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes or so, plus its a Norman Jewison film.

He's better in Always Sunny.

Also, a few retailers and tech companies could learn a thing or two from him.

It's pretty good.  It's a comedy though really, not some Oscar-winning drama or anything.  I wouldn't rent it though.  If you have it on Netflix or something, that's probably better. 

One of my favorite movies regarding stocks or the markets is "Trading Places", and I think the underlying social commentary was pretty darn good.  It's a Christmas movie too, so it's always on around this time of year.  Probably the best role Dan Akroyd ever had.  Cheers!

Check out "Margin Call" which is a fairly recent movie.  Pretty good imo.

He's better in Always Sunny.

Also, a few retailers and tech companies could learn a thing or two from him.

quote author=Parsad " data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="7872" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" 92900#msg92900 data-ipsquote-timestamp=1353564836]

Check out "Margin Call" which is a fairly recent movie.  Pretty good imo.

Yes, "Margin Call" was quite good.  Hell of a lot better than "Wall Street 2"...what a disappointment that was!  "Too Big to Fail" was actually quite good too.  Cheers!

I have the movie "Other People's Money" - It is a romcom centered around an LBO/raider type guy (DeVito) and an opposing lawyer (Miller).  It is a lot of fun and from a business/valuation standpoint, pretty bang on.  The first clip is the heart of it from a finance perspective, but the rest of the story is good and the film gives you a decent perspective on the world of finance of the late 80s.

OPM is to finance what Wall Street was to trading, except with a sense of humour.  If I remember correctly, he gives a Gekko like speech at a shareholders meeting.

Check it out, there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes or so, plus its a Norman Jewison film.

I agree.

"...

I didn't like the very last scene of "Other People's Money." It felt tacked on, manufactured, concocted out of a Hollywood studio's knee-jerk need to provide a smileyface ending that was not in the spirit of the film. "Other People's Money" is a four-star movie that loses its way in the last, crucial scene, and for that it loses half a star, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy every moment right up until the happy ending, which is the unhappiest moment in the movie."

- ROGER EBERT

giofranchi