Tesla Model S Named Automobile's "Car of the Year"

Parsad

That's an accolade that has come pretty quick!  I saw this thing at the Fashion Island Mall in Newport Beach in September, and it is a stunning looking car.  Beautiful lines, inside and out, and enormous passenger and luggage space.  Go Tesla!  Cheers!

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/01/autos/tesla-model-s-car-of-the-year/index.html?source=cnn_bin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies in advance if I am seen as turning this into a politiocal discussion, but cannot resist bring attention to this line.

Recalling Romney's remark that Tesla was a loser, he said, "In retrospect he was right about the object of that statement, but not the subject."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/11/12/elon_musk_s_tesla_model_s_is_first_all_electric_car_to_win_motor_trend_car.html

Apologies in advance if I am seen as turning this into a politiocal discussion, but cannot resist bring attention to this line.

Recalling Romney's remark that Tesla was a loser, he said, "In retrospect he was right about the object of that statement, but not the subject."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/11/12/elon_musk_s_tesla_model_s_is_first_all_electric_car_to_win_motor_trend_car.html

Well actually, Romney was the loser...both objectively and subjectively.  ;D  Cheers!

• 4 months later...

Elon Musk is offering a personal guarantee backed by his personal wealth for the buyback value at the end of 3 years.  Same deprecation as a Mercedes S class.

At least he's so confident in the car that he's willing to put his money where his mouth is.

Elon Musk is offering a personal guarantee backed by his personal wealth for the buyback value at the end of 3 years.  Same deprecation as a Mercedes S class.

At least he's so confident in the car that he's willing to put his money where his mouth is.

How much wealth does he have outside of his businesses which are all unprofitable from what I can tell? It costs over 80% to borrow TSLA shares -- people are spending lots of money betting TSLA will probably be a zero.

Most of his business are remarkable and he is doing a great job trying to carrying human progress along, but I worry that in ten years (if not sooner) there will be articles turtles "The rise and fall of Elon Musk"

How much wealth does he have outside of his businesses which are all unprofitable from what I can tell? It costs over 80% to borrow TSLA shares -- people are spending lots of money betting TSLA will probably be a zero.

huh? Forbes lists his net worth at $2.7 Billion. He made a huge amount of $ when eBay acquired Paypal - which is very profitable?

Most of his business are remarkable and he is doing a great job trying to carrying human progress along, but I worry that in ten years (if not sooner) there will be articles turtles "The rise and fall of Elon Musk"

huh? He's a billionaire - Forbes lists his net worth at $2.7 Billion. Paypal is not profitable?

I don't think he owns any eBay shares anymore. I kind of thought he got super lucky with Paypal rrrr I guess I should keep my comments to myself. Musk is essentially hero worshipped by most people, but I think people are over looking the lack of a sustainable competitive advantage of his new companies.

Nothing wrong with hero worshipping Musk. He is doing 1000X more for humanity than I will and I hope to have my own Tesla one day. Yet, I get really anxious about the future value of his companies.

If you read Tesla's 10-K, it talks about how Musk uses leverage and could theoretically get margin called on his Tesla shares.  The DOE loan has provisions that trigger if Musk sells his Tesla shares.

If Tesla does poorly and his other companies do poorly, I don't think that he'd be able to put his money where his mouth is.  He has certainly gone "all-in" on his company... which at least should be comforting to the longs.

*I am short Tesla.  So far, it has sucked.

huh? Forbes lists his net worth at $2.7 Billion. He made a huge amount of $ when eBay acquired Paypal - which is very profitable?

I believe he made less than $200M from selling Paypal, plus he got divorced a few years ago, and is known for having personal debt.

Forbes may be applying less skepticism to Musk's net worth calculation than they did with Prince Alwaleed. When SpaceX lists publicly, I'll have more confidence in that number.

• 1 month later...

http://ir.teslamotors.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=762317

PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/06/13 -- Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) has hired Aston Martin's Chief Engineer of Vehicle Engineering, Chris Porritt, to be its Vice President of Vehicle Engineering. Chris is a world-class leader and automotive engineer who established Aston Martin's Vehicle Engineering team from the ground up and used his innovative approach as Chief Engineer for Aston Martin's One-77 supercar. The One-77 was best known for its advanced structural design combined with cutting edge active suspension and aerodynamics. These combined to make it one of the fastest cars in the world.

Last night Tesla got a $5,000 payment from my PayPal account.  Looking forward to getting it in July (the earliest delivery date was end of June, but I'm traveling then).

Congrats, Eric! I don't get car lust, except for Teslas.

I'll probably be waiting for the next platform in a few years, which should be closer to 30k.

Last night Tesla got a $5,000 payment from my PayPal account.  Looking forward to getting it in July (the earliest delivery date was end of June, but I'm traveling then).

Sweet!  A guy I work with has a new Model S so I've been able to see it in person, it is a beautiful car both inside and out. Congratulations.

Speaking of Tesla, besides my co-worker's Model S, I've seen 3 others locally in the last few weeks (2 on the highway and one at my son's school).  This is in southern NH and Northern MA, far away from the prospect of using the free charging stations in CA.  I wonder how many of these things they are selling?

I wonder how many of these things they are selling?

We'll find out the exact number soon, but their annual production rate is now around 25,000, and they've still got a lot of space to expand at the NUMMI plant.

Bernanke appears to be right about the wealth effect of stock prices.  MBI and BAC go up and I order a Model S.

Out of curiosity, are you buying, leasing, or using the new 'Tesla Financing" which is kind of a hybrid between the two?

Bernanke appears to be right about the wealth effect of stock prices.  MBI and BAC go up and I order a Model S.

Out of curiosity, are you buying, leasing, or using the new 'Tesla Financing" which is kind of a hybrid between the two?

Financing.