Shiller Interview

Parsad

Article on comments by Robert Shiller.  I think the title is probably taken a bit out of context, but basically Shiller doesn't see the same sort of housing mania we saw a few years ago for at least another couple of generations.  He's also not sure the housing recovery is going to hold.  Cheers!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/shiller-housing-recovery-could-50-125741773.html;_ylt=Au8ZCpAxKD4w9l8Xw7fc6GCiuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTQ4dTBzNTNjBG1pdANDTkJDIFRvcCBTdG9yaWVzBHBrZwM0ZGNkZDE2Yi0yZDM3LTMzNjQtYTI2NS1iYzExYzU0MjQ5YTcEcG9zAzUEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaXhlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgMwNWMyZWFiOC0yNDJiLTExZTItYmNmNy1iZDNkZDk5NjNmMDk-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting. Extremely good read.

"Ultimately, people are motivated by human-interest stories about somebody who did something amazing because those stories are more resonant, they create a sense of envy and competitiveness. If I've heard stories about someone who bought condos or houses and flipped them and made a huge amount of money, and I think to myself I could have done that, it generates emotional turmoil that drives you to do it. So I'm thinking that's kind of what was happening in the housing market in the early 2000s and in the stock market in the 1990s"

We can see this particular human behaviour even on this forum.

Robert Shiller's Nobel Knowledge

Yale University economics professor and Nobel laureate, Robert Shiller on the art of stock-picking and the complex psychology of investors

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304256404579451513719842826?mod=WSJ_hps_MIDDLE_Video_second&mg=reno64-wsj

Wow, that is one nice faculty office. I can tell you my office at Purdue does not look like that!

Thanks for posting. Extremely good read.

"Ultimately, people are motivated by human-interest stories about somebody who did something amazing because those stories are more resonant, they create a sense of envy and competitiveness. If I've heard stories about someone who bought condos or houses and flipped them and made a huge amount of money, and I think to myself I could have done that, it generates emotional turmoil that drives you to do it. So I'm thinking that's kind of what was happening in the housing market in the early 2000s and in the stock market in the 1990s"

We can see this particular human behaviour even on this forum.

Also on VIC I think. If you tell a nice story with interesting details, the valuation might not be as good, but your idea seems to be higher rated.