To My Friends On The East Coast!

Parsad

Are you guys preparing for the Frankenstorm?  Probably a good idea...better safe than sorry.  Cheers!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/26/us/tropical-weather-sandy/index.html

Most definitely better safe than sorry.  We are preparing the best we can.  Frankly, there's not much we can really do.  After losing power every time there's a big storm, we assume we will lose power again and that it could be out for quite a while.  Last storm my wife had just done a huge shopping and we lost hundreds of dollars in food.  So this time we are obviously not doing that and trying to use whatever we can that's already in the fridge.  We're just hoping for the best.  Obviously it's not the most important thing or close to it, but hopefully Halloween won't be ruined for the kids.  They've really been looking forward to it.

Are you guys preparing for the Frankenstorm?  Probably a good idea...better safe than sorry.  Cheers!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/26/us/tropical-weather-sandy/index.html

Most definitely better safe than sorry.  We are preparing the best we can.  Frankly, there's not much we can really do.  After losing power every time there's a big storm, we assume we will lose power again and that it could be out for quite a while.  Last storm my wife had just done a huge shopping and we lost hundreds of dollars in food.  So this time we are obviously not doing that and trying to use whatever we can that's already in the fridge.  We're just hoping for the best.  Obviously it's not the most important thing or close to it, but hopefully Halloween won't be ruined for the kids.  They've really been looking forward to it.

Hope this is not as bad as last year when our power in NJ was out for 5 days and it didn't come back on until trucks from Ohio Edison restored it.

More media hype.

Outside of Cape Cod, Long Island or coastal Jersey and Delaware it will most likely be nothing more than a typical windy storm.

Considering millions of people live in those areas... it's not really hype IMO

I agree.  The issue isn't the wind, but the amount of water.  It's not a powerful hurricane, but it is very large and slow moving.  Combined with the low pressure system coming at it from the Northwest, it's going to make an awful mess.  Keep safe everyone!  Cheers!

Its nuts outside in Toronto right now.  Winds of 30-60 mph, and wild rain, and were 600 miles from NJ.

I was looking at the conditions on the summit of Mount Washington: 97 mph sustained wind, gusting to 125. 

Its gotta be real exciting on the coast.

More media hype.

Outside of Cape Cod, Long Island or coastal Jersey and Delaware it will most likely be nothing more than a typical windy storm.

It is hype if you don't live in those areas.

Covering the story is one thing but wall-to-wall, saturation news coverage coast to coast is indeed hype.

More media hype.

It is hype if you don't live in those areas.

Covering the story is one thing but wall-to-wall, saturation news coverage coast to coast is indeed hype.

It involves New York City; and they were hit bad.  That automatically amplifies the news effect.

Yeah, from what I hear from NYC friends who have been stranded in Austin, this weather event is sort of unheard of.  But maybe that's just because we are relatively young and have never seen such a storm hit a place like NYC, where major substations go out and where the public transportation just shorts out. 

Hopefully, these kind of storms won't become more frequent because of global climate change.

Stay safe, folks -- hopefully, you're in a position to read this post. 

Well from a infrastructure damage standpoint this is looking like the worst storm to hit NYC. Our subways will be offline for at least 4 days to who knows how long. The tunnels are the same. The amount of water damage to downtown Manhattan is unheard of.

From NJ suburbs, 25 miles inland:

Extensive power outages.  From my front yard I can see down trees every where.  Big trees, 80-120 feet.  Just about every half acre lot has a tree down.  Some landed on houses but most missed.  Luckily, through the night it didn't rain so it could have much worse with moist, weakened soil.  All in, life will be inconvenient for a while but damage is manageable.

Its nuts outside in Toronto right now.  Winds of 30-60 mph, and wild rain, and were 600 miles from NJ.

I was looking at the conditions on the summit of Mount Washington: 97 mph sustained wind, gusting to 125. 

Its gotta be real exciting on the coast.

In other words: below normal wind on the top of Mount Washington.  :)

Anyone else live in the Philadelphia area? I've been without power for a day now, not having heat or hot water is no fun. Also, the regional rails are still down as of now it looks...pretty inconvenient considering it's my main source of transportation. At least the markets are closed so I'm not missing much.

From Northern Virginia - storm was heavy Monday night with some power outages.  We were out for a day or so.  The obvious flooding damage, trees down and that kind of thing, but power outages are minimal at this point.  The storm moved faster out of the area than expected and I think the general sense is that while it was certainly severe, we dodged a bullet.