What happened to the old shipping thread ?

Green King

Was it this one?

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/shipping-stocks/msg22507/#msg22507

If not, just click "Home" and then go to the "search" box on the top right hand side. Type in some words you are certain would have been in that thread.  It should find a few and one of them will probably be the correct thread.  Cheers!

thank you both.  :D

On unrelated note anyone looking at OSG ?

Also Sanjeev

Is there any way to implement a key word system for better indexing ?

I've been spending lots of time on it.  Haven't bought any yet though.  Need to determine the likely treatment of their unfavorable time-charter leases in bankruptcy (and also the amount that they will likely reject) - which I believe has a mixed treatment history.  Note, I'm not talking about the stock, of course....

thank you both.  :D

On unrelated note anyone looking at OSG ?

Also Sanjeev

Is there any way to implement a key word system for better indexing ?

I've been spending lots of time on it.  Haven't bought any yet though.  Need to determine the likely treatment of their unfavorable time-charter leases in bankruptcy (and also the amount that they will likely reject) - which I believe has a mixed treatment history.  Note, I'm not talking about the stock, of course....

No position

But All it says in their 10Qs is that they have a 100 million funding gap.

They still have 1b in book. Unless there is significant deterioration in the industry and market. which would mean all the other companies are insolvent. they should either be able to sell or workout something with the bankers soon.

or am i missing something ?

I have been watching the industry for a while... its interesting but there is a potential risk around the corner that china will increase their inventory of VLCCs to carry most part of their imports of crude.. if that happens, the supply/demand picture will continue to be out of balance and shipping firms will have an even tougher time ahead of them..

Best,

After studying the shipping space for the last 5 years, I am of the opinion that nearly the entire industry's management groups of dry bulk, oil tanker, and containers are of the river boat gambler types.  More so for the Greek operators, maybe it is a cultural thing.

With that said, this does not imply that you can not make a good investment, just be cognizant of whose team you are joining.  By far, the cream of the crop is SSW and management has proven that thru this cycle.  I am more partial to the container space due to the charter/lease aspect irrespective of the cancellation fears, just know who your counter parties are.  If we get a double dip, the Mr. Market may get moody again and some of the river boat gambler types will become real attractive.  Not yet though.

Cheers

JEast

I've been watching the OSG price action for about a year now, mostly because I was intrigued by the insider buying, despite what seemed to be a very bad situation -- high debt, burning cash, overcapacity.  Never really did find the time to really do any due diligence on the company itself or even the industry really.

Perhaps FFH and Wilbur Ross will benefit from asset sales if/when OSG files for BK.

I remember there was a thread talking about the shipping industry but for some reason i can't find it.

It had a video on the industry by the CEO of pressure shipping (or something of the sort)

A MIT paper on the oil industry

Please help

TIA

Don't know if you found it already, but is this the MIT paper you were looking for?

(In case that link doesn't work you can Google "Future Characteristics of Offshore Support Vessels" by Robin Rose of MIT)

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdspace.mit.edu%2Fbitstream%2Fhandle%2F1721.1%2F64580%2F727052552.pdf%3F...1&ei=gTGJUKz2B4rQhAfysoCoCA&usg=AFQjCNHyXBJWfHwLonVVfVlERVE4Hv6usA

Wooo, I had been stocking the shipping stocks for 2 years and quit about a year ago. What happened at OSG. They always seemed like Perma bulls. Will have to look into this one...

Look into the debt if you're going to look into anything.  It's one that I've thrown out as a not gonna go there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...