Why Does Larry Ellison Need a $4B Line of Credit?

Parsad

The Lanai thing is really interesting/respectable.  My theory that he would use it as a place to raise his clones is way off.  Unless he's doing both - dun dun DUNNNNNNN.

Well, this is Larry Ellison you are talking about.  Maybe he asked around and found out that the then-largest line of credit for an individual was $3 Billion or whatever, and then decided he needed to win at "largest credit lines".

The Anschutz is interesting though...

The thing I loved the most about Larry Ellison was that there was a book about him called something like The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison is that God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison.

I remember seeing this in a used book pile while at university.  I didn't read it, but the title indelibly shaped my perception of Larry Ellison.

The thing I loved the most about Larry Ellison was that there was a book about him called something like The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison is that God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison.

I read the book, a long time ago. I enjoyed it. The story I most remember is when they first started Oracle they had a computer in one room and something like terminals in a room next to it. Ellison came in and everyone was sitting around because the wires from the terminals to the computer were too short to run out one door and in the other. Ellison left, came back a few minutes later with a hammer, pounded a hole through the wall between the two rooms, and then said "run your wires through there."

Oh and the one where he was getting divorced in the early days of Oracle and his wife, soon to be ex, took the pickup truck instead of any Oracle stock.

• 11 months later...

Just started reading the same book. Am wondering if ORCL should be a larger position in our portfolio.

There is another story I recall, and since you are currently reading the book you can correct anything I get wrong.

At the start when there were just a couple of them they had rented space that was two rooms side-by-side. The minicomputer was in one room and the terminals were in another. Ellison came in and everyone was sitting around doing nothing because the cables were too short to run out one door and in the other to connect the terminals to the computer. Ellison left, came back a few minutes later with a hammer, pounded a hole through the wall and said run your cables through there.

I read the book, a long time ago. I enjoyed it. The story I most remember is when they first started Oracle they had a computer in one room and something like terminals in a room next to it. Ellison came in and everyone was sitting around because the wires from the terminals to the computer were too short to run out one door and in the other. Ellison left, came back a few minutes later with a hammer, pounded a hole through the wall between the two rooms, and then said "run your wires through there."

Oh and the one where he was getting divorced in the early days of Oracle and his wife, soon to be ex, took the pickup truck instead of any Oracle stock.

Never heard of this guy but I already love him :P