Investing in yourself

compoundinglife

WEB and Munger have always promoted continuos self improvement and investing in yourself. In particular the Univ. of Florida Buffett talk comes to mind where he asks the class to think about which classmates they would go long and which classmates they would short. So while thinking about this I have identified a couple of areas where I would like to improve and considering talking to a life coach to see if I can utilize that service to help me with these improvements.

Anyone have any experience with using this type of service, any suggestions or even recommendations for people that are life coaches? Feel free to PM me if you would rather not post suggestions for particular people on the thread.

Anyone have any tips or strategies they have used for self improvement or ways of investing in yourself?

You might find the book, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, by Carol Dweck of interest.

Mindset refers to having a growth or fixed mindset. With a growth mindset you believe skills can be developed, which is what you are looking to do, whereas with a fixed mindset you believe your abilities are already determined.

You might find the book, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, by Carol Dweck of interest.

Mindset refers to having a growth or fixed mindset. With a growth mindset you believe skills can be developed, which is what you are looking to do, whereas with a fixed mindset you believe your abilities are already determined.

For those who want the short version:

http://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=32124

Hopefully everybody here has a growth mindset, otherwise I doubt one could be a good investor.

No idea about life coaches. Guess it's entirely dependent on the quality of the person that you find and on how compatible you two are.

Personally, I just read a truckload of stuff everyday, and work very hard at being good at 1) finding more interesting things to read and 2) avoiding wasting time on bad stuff by building a stable of trusted sources for recommendations/reviews. IMO that last part is too often overlooked; reading a lot is not enough, you have to be good at picking what to read to get the most out of it.