Good to Great - Jim Collins

yp

[amazonsearch]Good to Great - Jim Collins[/amazonsearch]

Started reading this book a few days ago. About a chapter into it and enjoying it very much so far.

Seems like a great read to get to know what makes a "great" company "great". The type of circumstances, the type of people, the type of leadership (Collins talks about Level 5 Leaders; those with humility & will and a willingness to put the company ahead of their selfish motives.)

I'll post my review of the book once I'm done (though it might be a while now with school going)  :) .

Anyone else read it yet?

Started reading this book a few days ago. About a chapter into it and enjoying it very much so far.

Seems like a great read to get to know what makes a "great" company "great". The type of circumstances, the type of people, the type of leadership (Collins talks about Level 5 Leaders; those with humility & will and a willingness to put the company ahead of their selfish motives.)

I'll post my review of the book once I'm done (though it might be a while now with school going)  :) .

Anyone else read it yet?

You might want to first read "The halo effect" before wasting time on this book.

Vinod

Anyone else read it yet?

You might want to first read "The halo effect" before wasting time on this book.

Vinod

+1

Anyone else read it yet?

Vinod

Really? It's not very good? It had some good reviews on Amazon...

Anything in particular that you guys don't like about this book?

Also, "The Halo Effect", is that the one by Phil Rosenzwig?

We have a thread about the Halo Effect here:

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/books/the-halo-effect-phil-rosenzweig/

I'm sure the Collins book is well-written and well argued, it's just that foundational premise of it is deeply flawed, as explained in the halo effect, so pretty much everything built on top of it is highly suspect.

We have a thread about the Halo Effect here:

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/books/the-halo-effect-phil-rosenzweig/

I'm sure the Collins book is well-written and well argued, it's just that foundational premise of it is deeply flawed, as explained in the halo effect, so pretty much everything built on top of it is highly suspect.

I see what you mean. I'd like to read it still but I'll consider the points the author raises with a grain of salt. After reading the "The Halo Effect" thread and especially the blurb by "vinod1", I guess the issue is that Collins is looking at some of the correlations of successful businesses and taking them as causations. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

However, it seems to me as though The Halo Effect is more focused on studying the study of business; is this the case?

If so, are there any other good books on building a great business? Or discerning a great business from a good business?

Thanks for the input guys!