Michael Lewis Profile of Obama

txlaw

Thanks for posting, that was a good profile and interesting glance at the life of a U.S. president.

One thing I didn't really like is how Lewis kinda of implied (or maybe I just misread something) that the navigator was closer to Obama than he actually was. I mean, it's cool that this guy's story was told, but I felt a bit manipulated at the end.

One thing I didn't really like is how Lewis kinda of implied (or maybe I just misread something) that the navigator was closer to Obama than he actually was. I mean, it's cool that this guy's story was told, but I felt a bit manipulated at the end.

Yeah, I thought that was kind of a weird rhetorical device Lewis used to tell the story.  Didn't really add anything to the Obama story in my opinion (though as a standalone piece, I like that he was recognized).

I'm sure many of you have already read this, but just in case you haven't, here it is:

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/10/michael-lewis-profile-barack-obama

As you might expect, it's a pretty good read.

Thanks for posting.  Am reading it now.  Love Michael Lewis writing style. 

Obama talking risk management and probabilities - No wonder WEB said that the country is in good hands or something similar to that effect during the elections four years ago.

I think the Presidency is much more than thinking in probabilities.  For a money manager, a businessman or professor and others who do need to work with others this is great as they can go against the crowd and succeed.  However, the US system is not set up like a corporation or kingdom.  You have to work with others and enjoy that process to really make an impact.  That is why Clinton and Reagan succeeded and Obama has not.  It doesn't matter if you have the best ideas if you can't work with others who think differently than you, you will be in constant battle mode.  This cannot be fun and you can take for the team only so long.

Packer 

That is why Clinton and Reagan succeeded and Obama has not.  It doesn't matter if you have the best ideas if you can't work with others who think differently than you, you will be in constant battle mode. 

Hasn't Obama named most of his biggest rivals to important functions in his administration, as well as many republicans? I think he would work well with all kinds if given the chance.

But for 'working with others' to work, the others also have to want to work with you at least a little. I don't think the US has got that in the current congress, mostly because republicans are all afraid to give one inch for fear of being taken out by the tea party. Not that congress democrats are super cooperative either, but if we're talking about just Obama, I never got the impression that he wouldn't compromise to get things done (but it's not a game you can play by yourself).

Although Obama does seem to really dislike talking to the folks on the other side -- or at least, certain people on the other side who have made it their goal to make Obama a single-term president -- he will do what it takes to get the job done, IMO.  And I believe he'll be much more effective in a second term.

Obama's made a lot of mistakes, though.  Not jumping on board Simpson-Bowles was the biggest, I think.

I believe Romney has just lost the majority of independents he references in his video.

The rivals he has named are not rivals but folks who he has similar views to.  Hillary Clinton has similar views to Obama on many issues and the Senator Gregg from NH jumped ship when he saw what was going on.  Charlie Rose had a good interview with David Brooks on Obama's communications/working with others issues.  I think if he gets re-elected we are in for another 4 like the last 4. 

Packer

The rivals he has named are not rivals but folks who he has similar views to.  Hillary Clinton has similar views to Obama on many issues and the Senator Gregg from NH jumped ship when he saw what was going on.  Charlie Rose had a good interview with David Brooks on Obama's communications/working with others issues.  I think if he gets re-elected we are in for another 4 like the last 4. 

They were real rivals who played dirty with him and did their best to keep him from the job; lots of people wouldn't have taken them onboard regardless of their talents. And there are also republicans like Gates, LaHood, etc.. who probably didn't even vote for him.

My point remains that I haven't seen anything that makes me believe he isn't ready to compromise to work with the other side, but if the other side won't compromise, he can't just say "all right, you win, we'll do it exactly your way", hence the stalemate.

But that's just my impression. I don't care that much about politics; it's mostly a waste of time since there's nothing I can do about it.

I think the Presidency is much more than thinking in probabilities.  For a money manager, a businessman or professor and others who do need to work with others this is great as they can go against the crowd and succeed.  However, the US system is not set up like a corporation or kingdom.  You have to work with others and enjoy that process to really make an impact.  That is why Clinton and Reagan succeeded and Obama has not.  It doesn't matter if you have the best ideas if you can't work with others who think differently than you, you will be in constant battle mode.  This cannot be fun and you can take for the team only so long.

Packer

It was a besides all this - he is talking about probabilities, was the point I was making.  I have never read about a POTUS doing this after Eisenhower - I have read Reagan, Ike and Bush memoirs/biographies.  Don't know about Clinton (more like, don't care to know)

The guy got the popular vote and electoral college once should tel you the obvious.