Buffett Completes Cancer Treatments

twacowfca

Berkshire CEO Warren Buffett completes cancer treatments

2012-09-14 18:08:13.676 GMT

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120914/MONEY/709149884/1697

Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett said Friday he has completed his final radiation treatment for prostate cancer.

Speaking to a group of executives from the newspapers he's acquired in recent months, Buffett said, “It's a great day for me. Today I had my 44th and last day of radiation.”

Buffett, 82, had disclosed in April he was diagnosed with Stage 1 prostate cancer. At the time, he said his case “is not remotely life-threatening or even debilitating in any meaningful way.”

Buffett started daily radiation treatments at the Nebraska Medical Center in mid-July. He said they would hinder his travels for about two months.

The diagnosis was a reminder that the day will come when someone else will take his job leading Berkshire, and it prompted some calls for him to be more transparent about his succession plan.

At Berkshire's annual meeting in May, he said his four doctors (all Berkshire shareholders, he pointed out) laid out the treatment options and give him a 99-plus percent chance of living at least another decade with the disorder.

“In all seriousness, it is a non-event,” Buffett told shareholders.

Stage 1 prostate cancer does not cause symptoms, according to the American Joint Committee on Cancer. It is estimated that half of 90-year-old men have it. One study showed that men diagnosed with early prostate cancer have a survival rate of 87 percent after 10 years and their overall survival rate is about the same as men without prostate cancer.

Buffett joked with executives about planning live to be the oldest man alive. He expressed relief to have completed the radiation treatments.

“I'll be feeling the side effects for a few weeks yet, but I am so glad to say that's over,” he said.

The Omaha World-Herald Co. is owned by Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

Buffett Skips Conference, Curbing Travel After Treatment

Sep. 20, 2012

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-20/buffett-skips-conference-curbing-travel-after-treatment.html?cmpid=yhoo

Mr. Buffett has been undergoing radiation treatment and he just finished,” Debbie Bosanek, his assistant at Omaha, Nebraska-based Berkshire, said in an e-mail today. “His doctors advised him to avoid travel for at least three to four weeks after the treatments.”