2012 YTD rate of return

ourkid8

Hi all,

What is your 2012 YTD rate of return?  My portfolio is up 11% and currently sits at an all time high!!!

My big winners are in the banking industry - US Bancorp (4.23% of my portfolio), Wells Fargo (4.23% of my portfolio) and Bank of America. (Thank you board!!!! and it is 4.8% of my portfolio)  The losers of my portfolio this year is Fairfax. (10.72% of my portfolio)

For Moorecapital, my portfolio is between $250-500,000 just to add that in perspective and I am 31 years old. 

S

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall that last time someone started such a thread was around the beginning of the year after that rally and we know what happened than. So if it falls it's all OP's fault.

:D The same happened in 2011..

FFH is starting to look better imo. Hedges will have lowered BV temporarly but I doubt that is going to last.

I recall that last time someone started such a thread was around the beginning of the year after that rally and we know what happened than. So if it falls it's all OP's fault.

FFH is starting to look better imo. Hedges will have lowered BV temporarly but I doubt that is going to last.

I dunno. We're still about 145% long and LRE and BRK are about 135% of that and they continue to trade within 1%-2% of their highs.  We lost about 80% on our first tranch of OTM S&P 500 puts,made about 300% on the next batch of those, and then lost 100% onthe final batch.  Net result: a loss of about. 0.3% of the net portfolio value.  I'll rationalize that loss by telling myself that the hedge kept me from paring down our core net long position. 

I dunno. We're still about 145% long and LRE and BRK are about 135% of that and they continue to trade within 1%-2% of their highs.  We lost about 80% on our first tranch of OTM S&P 500 puts,made about 300% on the next batch of those, and then lost 100% onthe final batch.  Net result: a loss of about. 0.3% of the net portfolio value.  I'll rationalize that loss by telling myself that the hedge kept me from paring down our core net long position.

twacowfca,

my results are pretty similar to yours. But I rationalize them differently: you once wrote that in recent years long/short strategies have returned just 6% annualized. And you most surely are right. The fact is: I am really happy with a 6% return in a secular bear market, when stock prices are high. And I am content to accept a 6% return for the next 5 years, if it needs to be so. YTD my return is almost 0, while last year it was 10%. In a 5 years period I believe the chances are quite high to achieve a 6% annualized. On the contrary, in any single year it is impossible to predict what could happen. Why am I happy with a 6% return? Because in a secular bear market, when stock prices are high, that is all you can hope for! At least, if I am not talking to the next Warren Buffett! If you are simply a good businessman and a good investor, and if you find yourself in a secular bear market and stock prices are high, you should be happy to lock in a 6% annualized return. And wait for better times.

I don’t know about LRE, but I am extremely curious. Can you write something about them? I would really appreciate it very much! And, if I like what I see, I will surely consider an investment with them.

Thank you!

giofranchi

Currently at 59%.

Unbelievable! Completely out of my league! I bow to you, racemize. Keep on doing your wonderful job!

giofranchi

I'm fairly certain it will never happen again (assuming it even holds!).  I'm hoping to modestly outperform the S&P going forward.

You are humble, just like any person who is sure of his means. I am positive you will go on outperforming the S&P500 by a very wide margin!

giofranchi

Currently at 59%.

Unbelievable! Completely out of my league! I bow to you, racemize. Keep on doing your wonderful job!

giofranchi

I'm fairly certain it will never happen again (assuming it even holds!).  I'm hoping to modestly outperform the S&P going forward.

Sounding like a young WEB in his partnership letters!

eric i know you do quite a lot of options (or maybe i am wrong), I just started dipping my toes into options this year, have been selling quite a few puts to get some cash.

by no means is this strategy that will generated considerable amount of return, it might give me an extra 1 or 2% per yr

eric, would you mind sharing some of your options strategies and thinking? for example I understand you are big in BAC, do you just by calls mostly for the outsize return?