Fairfax betting on demography?

Alekbaylee

Fairfax has held Arbor for as long as I can recall; probably close to 15 years.  Arbor owns and has recently built numerous multi story facilities in Toronto.  Graveyards gone vertical.

Beware,... we might soon get some free Halloween-like graveyard tour at next years AGM  ;D

Ah,... just kidding of course,... but I can recall Peter Lynch also made a fortune buying into the funeral and cemetery business Service Corp, which had no analyst coverage. Dull names, dull products, dead industry - Lynch loved simple mundane, colorless businesses.

Fairfax has held Arbor for as long as I can recall; probably close to 15 years.  Arbor owns and has recently built numerous multi story facilities in Toronto.  Graveyards gone vertical.

Beware,... we might soon get some free Halloween-like graveyard tour at next years AGM  ;D

LOL

[Ah,... just kidding of course,... but I can recall Peter Lynch also made a fortune buying into the funeral and cemetery business Service Corp, which had no analyst coverage. Dull names, dull products, dead industry - Lynch loved simple mundane, colorless businesses.

It has taken a while, but I've made a silly multiple from Service in recent years.  :)

Those shares were acquired around August 2001 from Service Corp, and McElvaine Investment Trust was also part of the group acquiring shares.  Cheers!

Those shares were acquired around August 2001 from Service Corp, and McElvaine Investment Trust was also part of the group acquiring shares.  Cheers!

While we currently speak about older historic purchases,... I was always curious how deep Fairfax's involvement in Dr. Michael Burry's Scion Capital partnership was. As we all know,... Francis Chou and Brian Bradstreet were the masterminds behind Fairfax own CDS positions, but to some lesser extent we know about Fairfax's involvement in the Scion Capital partnership. As I remember,... well at least through Uccmal's good knowledge,... Brian knew Dr. Michael Burry around the time frame of the big short. Well, he talked with him, but has never met him in real and what had struck me by a little surprise is that they (i.e. Fairfax) also had some money with him. I just wonder how deep that relationship was. They almost wanted to buy his old partners out, but Burry wanted to torture them a little longer. But that idea would have been rather strange,... Fairfax would have bought out Greenblatt and White Mountain.  I only wonder why Michael Lewis has never mentioned this in his book. I just went through Amazon's search inside book feature,... and couldn't find any references.

At least I remember that we here at the old MSN BRK board also mentioned occasionally Burry/Scion many years before the big short. Cheers!