Bill Fleckenstein

Liberty

Hey,

So this name has been popping in a few conference calls I've listened to and on a few websites I've been reading. I found some of his free articles and also his paying newsletter.

https://www.fleckensteincapital.com/index.aspx

I just want to do a quick reputation check here: Any of you familiar with him? What do you think? Anyone subscribes to the newsletter and can comment?

I'm not endorsing him or his ideas by asking this, I'm just curious about him. I haven't heard/read enough to know either way...

Thanks!

I read him a lot back in 2006 or so. He helped me avoid a train wreck in the mortgages. While I didn't understand him at the time, it certainly helped me from loading up on backs in early 2008. He's more or less a permabear, from what I remember.

I also read his articles in msn pre-crisis. He was very critical of Greenspan. He was squarly blaming the housing mess on him and the low rate policies. I think he also wrote a book about it. He ran a short-only fund at that time and closed it in 2008/09.

I did not know anything about Michel Burry at that time. But Bill's articles really helped me to think that the housing is not sustainable and it had to come down soon and the banks will be affected a lot.

Thanks guys. I know he's also a friend of Kuppy, who's stuff I tend to like (he's cool-headed and even-handed about things, with many useful insight). I want to figure out if Fleckenstein is similar, or if he's more of a one-note doomer.

I'm trying to follow sources with all kinds of inclinations to hopefully get more of the full picture, and who knows, maybe he could be one of those. Not sure yet though, but thanks for the pointers :)

Fleck is awesome, you're not going to get new ideas out of him, but he'll keep you away from the madness out there.  I haven't read him for a while, a buddy has a subscription that I used to read. 

You're running into him because you're probably reading a lot of gold stuff.  He sits on the board of PAAS if I remember correctly.  He's also good friends with Fred Hickey, who is absolutely sharp.

I read his daily letter. He is one of the best to help us understand the macro picture and what the central banks are doing. He also shares some of his investment ideas. Not on the board of PAAS anymore. He is close to Hickey, Jim Grant and Kuppy. A must read in my opinion.

Guest rimm_never_sleeps

with all due respect to him, my observation, which could be way off, is he seems to be a trader that doesn't back up his convictions. As bearish as he was I don't think he really pressed any bets going into the 2008/2008 debacle. For example I don't think he was heavily short the financials. He also has been steadfastly negative on ibm for over a decade.

• 1 month later...