CNBC

Crip1

Years ago I worked nights and part-time during the day which allowed me to watch CNBC quite often. For years, however, working days I've not done so for a variety of reasons, most "lack-of-time" related. This morning I need to take my son to orientation at school so I am working from home in the morning before I depart for orientation. For the first time in years I've watched for about an hour and please allow me to tell you all of the useful information received over that hour:

Seriously, it's remarkable how much time, effort and brain-power goes into producing a news-related televison which gives absolutely no useful information whatsoever. Again, Jim Cramer is on this morning so, really, how much can one expect? (BTW Jim, the incessant use of personal pronouns is really annoying) But, seriously, it's remarkable how much the talking heads seemingly like to hear themselves talk in a self-promoting and/or psuedo-entertaining way as opposed to actually imparting useful business information. Does anyone really care about the lock-up period of Facebook insiders besides Facebook insiders? Another tendency is the use of  forced laughter in attempt to display to the viewers "Look how fun and entertaining we are". Perhaps it's a reflection on media or society in general where, at least in the US, we seemingly prefer sensationalism and/or entertainment as opposed to information.

Irrespective, the last hour was an absolute waste of time to watch CNBC, it's disappointing.

-Crip

Used to watch it a lot, but hardly watched a minute of it over the last year or so. I like some of the exucutive interviews, but 90% of it is interviews with idiot money managers that have a trading time frame of 5 minutes. CNBC also thrives on trying to create panic, and they classify about 80% of what they say as 'Breaking News' with red banners flashing across the screen.

That said, they cater to a majority of their audience, which is traders constantly looking for way to get rich quick.

That's why Buffett has it on mute all the time until he sees something he wants to listen to.  I also can't believe how Andrew Ross Sorkin has been sucked into the CNBC culture.  Having him and Joe Kiernan doing interviews together is awful...with Joe always shouting over Sorkin and everyone else.  Cheers!

That's why Buffett has it on mute all the time until he sees something he wants to listen to.  I also can't believe how Andrew Ross Sorkin has been sucked into the CNBC culture.  Having him and Joe Kiernan doing interviews together is awful...with Joe always shouting over Sorkin and everyone else.  Cheers!

Andrew is the younger guy right?  He seemed like he might actually be decent--did he come from somewhere legit?

Andrew is the younger guy right?  He seemed like he might actually be decent--did he come from somewhere legit?

Andrew is from the New York Times. I believe he was the editor of the Deal Book section.