Pabrai gets concentrated

Evolveus

Pabrai goes with a 6 position portfolio and 66% in financials.

http://www.dataroma.com/m/holdings.php?m=PI

After 2009, he had spoke about position sizing and taking smaller bets than what he had done in the past, yet this appears to be even more concentrated than before.  I guess that speaks to his conviction in the picks as well as his feelings about the overall/macro stability of markets.  I also assume that he has earned a great deal of respect from his investors (rightfully so) for them to feel comfortable with that type of positioning.

That's a good point...his overseas positions are not reflected there.  I read his 2011 letter to investors where he spoke about some of his Japanese based holdings.  I should have thought of that - thanks for pointing it out!  I don't know/think he does anything with debt related securities, does he?  I know that is one of John Malone's tools to fly under the radar with building positions like he did with Sirius.

doesn't the dataroma neglect some of his other positions (leading to inflated indications of concentration)?

He's got about $500M in AUM, and Dataroma only shows $240M, so while he's more concentrated than in the recent past, it isn't as concentrated as Dataroma would have you believe.  I'm glad he's gone back to more of the 10X10 structure...more volatile, but it will work better over the long-run.  Cheers!

doesn't the dataroma neglect some of his other positions (leading to inflated indications of concentration)?

He's got about $500M in AUM, and Dataroma only shows $240M, so while he's more concentrated than in the recent past, it isn't as concentrated as Dataroma would have you believe.  I'm glad he's gone back to more of the 10X10 structure...more volatile, but it will work better over the long-run.  Cheers!

What's a 10x10 structure?

10% positions each in 10 securities I assume

10% positions in 10 securities I assume?

10% positions each in 10 securities I assume

Ohh, duh! Thanks!  :P