How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking

rkbabang

An unbelievable story of how a hacker took control of this guy's identity and destroyed all of his data in minutes.

How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking

"But I’m also upset that this ecosystem that I’ve placed so much of my trust in has let me down so thoroughly. I’m angry that Amazon makes it so remarkably easy to allow someone into your account, which has obvious financial consequences. And then there’s Apple. I bought into the Apple account system originally to buy songs at 99 cents a pop, and over the years that same ID has evolved into a single point of entry that controls my phones, tablets, computers and data-driven life. With this AppleID, someone can make thousands of dollars of purchases in an instant, or do damage at a cost that you can’t put a price on."

these proposed new systems where we can pay with our phone, sometimes without even pulling it out of our pocket is scary to me.

At the moment I am not worried as I figure the credit cards and banks are on the hook for fraud I believe, but who needs the hassle.

these proposed new systems where we can pay with our phone, sometimes without even pulling it out of our pocket is scary to me.

At the moment I am not worried as I figure the credit cards and banks are on the hook for fraud I believe, but who needs the hassle.

They are on the hook, but there is a lot of hassle proving that you did not do anything to expose your personal information.  It then also takes a week or two for them to return the funds to your account. 

Haven't experienced it myself, but a couple of people I know who had their cards fraudulently used said the experience was not fun...although they were both here in Canada.  I would assume the protocol in the U.S. is not any different.  Cheers!

They are on the hook, but there is a lot of hassle proving that you did not do anything to expose your personal information.  It then also takes a week or two for them to return the funds to your account. 

Haven't experienced it myself, but a couple of people I know who had their cards fraudulently used said the experience was not fun...although they were both here in Canada.  I would assume the protocol in the U.S. is not any different.  Cheers!

I've had it happen to me two or three times now.  Honestly wasn't too big a deal, just called them up, and they resolved it.  One of the times, BAC was so incompetent, they credited me twice!

I've had it happen to me two or three times now.  Honestly wasn't too big a deal, just called them up, and they resolved it.  One of the times, BAC was so incompetent, they credited me twice!

It has happened to me only once and I found out when citibank called me to ask me if I was the one who just used my card at a Wal Mart in NY (I live in NH), I told them no, and they told me that I wouldn't be responsible for the charge and they fedEx'ed me new cards overnight.

--Eric