Value Line free trial

augustabound

Guest hellsten

Thanks for sharing. I had been planning on ordering ValueLine for quite some time. Your post made me sign up for the free trial and I spent some time going through the reports.

Some random findings:

- Baidu, Green Mountain Coffee and Zynga have very high projections for 2015-2017 (23-65% per year). Am I missing something? AFAIK, David Einhorn is still short GMCR.

- Among other stocks and industries, reinsurance (RNR, GLRE, PRE) and car manufacturers (Daimler, Nissan, Tata, Toyota) are timely stocks in timely industries according to ValueLine

- GLRE is listed on both the Value Screen and the "Timely stocks in Timely Industries" screen

- BP, CHK, Total, COP, Shell and Petrobras show up on Value Screen

- BAC, JPM, C, COF, DFS show up on Value Screen

- DMND and SVU have very high projections for 2015-2017

- Fuel Tech and Standard Register are a few of the small-caps with high projections for 2015-2017

- It doesn't look like Bruce Berkowitz reads Value Line. AIG is basically unranked and seen as unsafe by ValueLine:

We continue to think these shares should be avoided by all but the most venturesome investors. The road back to prominence remains lengthy for AIG, and bumps may lie around many turns.

- Baidu, Green Mountain Coffee and Zynga have very high projections for 2015-2017 (23-65% per year). Am I missing something? AFAIK, David Einhorn is still short GMCR.

Well that leads to the next question.  Historically how accurate have Valueline's 3 year predictions been?  I don't see any data for it.  I remember a long time ago I saw Hulbert's take on their timeliness ranking, and basically it beat the market but was more volatile, so their risk adjusted returns were the same as an index fund..  I wonder if their 3 year projections are any better...  Remember, these analysts don't necessarily have any skin in the game.  I think M* has the same opinion of AIG.  I suspect they are both trying to play it safe.

I don't remember this being mentioned before, but Value Line has a 2 week free trial.

http://www.valueline.com/Products/Promo/The_Value_Line_Investment_Survey_-_Special_Trial_Offer.aspx

It doesn't unlock the entire website but at least you can get the investment survey (online version only).

Ah, great augustabound,... that you posted this page,... seems you found the same hidden promotional subscription offer that I had found some while ago by harvesting the google site with certain google search strings. Damn,.... I should had posted this earlier,... since I knew it also.

The only drawback of the online version is that the single page profiles must be downloaded separately, while the hardcopy edition comes bounded.  Anyway,... I can everbody who isn't a subscriber urge to snoop into the free trial subscription and get a sense for this publication.

Would this be available for free anywhere in Canada like at the libraries?

I'm pretty sure U of T and the Metro Toronto library has access but I'm not sure about anywhere else.  I know the library here in Newmarket doesn't have it.

Edit: I found most Canadian Universities have access but I haven't found libraries..............yet.  :)

Would this be available for free anywhere in Canada like at the libraries?

I'm pretty sure U of T and the Metro Toronto library has access but I'm not sure about anywhere else.  I know the library here in Newmarket doesn't have it.

Edit: I found most Canadian Universities have access but I haven't found libraries..............yet.  :)

same here.  :'(

• 3 weeks later...

- It doesn't look like Bruce Berkowitz reads Value Line. AIG is basically unranked and seen as unsafe by ValueLine:

We continue to think these shares should be avoided by all but the most venturesome investors. The road back to prominence remains lengthy for AIG, and bumps may lie around many turns.

Well it looks like in their recent update they've changed their mind..  They're still unranked but here's an interesting quote:

AIG is now a leaner and more focused insurer....  All told, we think institutions that are willing to shoulder some risk could do very well with these unranked shares over the long haul.