Elon Musk: 1-hour Interview

Liberty

Elon is a very smart and innovative businessman willing to take calculated risk with his own money.  You gotta admire that.  He talked about putting all of his $180 million he received from the post Paypal sell to Ebay into Spacex, Tesla, and Solar City.  In the video he mentioned he had to borrow money from friends to make rent after investing everything he had in those companies.  Wow!  Starting these companies will end up either being a brilliant decision or very bad investment.  I definitely wouldn't bet against him especially since Space X and Solar City are already profitable according to him.

Are there any other guys out there like him to keep an eye on for possible investments? 

There is definitely something to be said about risk management if you can't make rent after investing $180m of your own money in new ventures.  ;D But hey, it worked out for him and I'm in no position to judge a person with such conviction, courage and passion.

There is definitely something to be said about risk management if you can't make rent after investing $180m of your own money in new ventures.  ;D But hey, it worked out for him and I'm in no position to judge a person with such conviction, courage and passion.

As he says in the interview, it wasn't the original plan, but he had to put more in than he expected (possibly because of 2008).. Still, he's certainly go conviction and the ability to deliver!

This in one guy I wish I could make an investment in the actual person.  What he has done in the past 14 years has been very exciting.  Instead of paying a million to eat lunch with WB I would much rather spend it having luch with this guy!!! ;D

there is a difference between doing great things and getting high return on capital.

Definitely! He doesn't adhere to the fundamentals of value investing, yet his form of investing seems like the right thing to do (if you can).

More fascinatingly;

"Jon Favreau, director of the Iron Man movies, describes in his article how Elon Musk was the inspiration for Favreau's film depiction of genius billionaire Tony Stark."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man#In_other_media

i think the margin of safety may be in things we can't see based on our current understanding.

Being his understanding of the feasibility of technology and the cost in brain power to make it happen.

Making as he say "high probability of success."