Tax and record keeping

MCN

Hi all,

I was wondering how others on the board keep track of their trades for profit/ loss and performance calculations and tax purposes.

So far i've been using my own spreadsheet concoction but it's a bit clunky and time consuming so i'm looking for other solutions.

Any recommendations?

Thank you

While I use portfolio management software from Advent (called AXYS), it is very expensive if you're looking at just doing your own portfolio.

This software is cheap and nifty: http://www.timevalue.com/products/tvalue/overview.aspx

While I believe it was built originally for loan amortization schedules, you can use it very effectively to calculate returns because you can enter cash outflows and inflows with exact dates and solve for rate of return. 

It will require a bit of work to get used to it but the manual is pretty good and I believe you can even call them for support (may be additonal fee in excess of the one time $149 for the program itself).

I'm based in Europe and often invest in foreign companies, mostly US, Japan, Uk. I also keep the bulk of my cash outside of the Euro mostly Sing$ & US/HK$

Keeping on top of the currency aspect is a bit of a headache at times.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I had someone build a database from scratch for such purposes.  He's planing to take the product to market as the low cost provider.  He developed the FCC's database among others, so the product is quite good.  I'll update when appropriate.