Samsung Galaxy S III

Parsad

A colleague just got the new Samsung and it's a really nice phone.  Enormous screen and much thinner than the iPhone.  The interface is very intuitive and looks great.  Powerful and fast as well.  Interesting how Apple got the injunction banning its sales in the U.S.  Cheers!

I have had it for about a week and love it. I highly suggest it, actually. The voice recognition technology from Google has vastly improved despite the Samsung version of Siri sucking. Other than that, it is a great phone. The bad reviews of the battery life were way over hyped.

Anything that can detect when I am looking at it and as a result, not have the screen time out, is freaking cool in my book. :)

Another great product is Galaxy Note:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note/case02.html

The screen size is slightly larger for a phone, but it has a stylus and can be useful both as a phone and as a tablet.

This device is amazing for multimedia purposes and even note taking. One of my buddies just got it and loves it, though he doesn't like talking on it without his Bluetooth headset because it looks kinda ridiculous when you put it up to your face haha.

I have had it for about a week and love it. I highly suggest it, actually. The voice recognition technology from Google has vastly improved despite the Samsung version of Siri sucking. Other than that, it is a great phone. The bad reviews of the battery life were way over hyped.

It's probably all the apple fan boys hating.  ;D

A colleague just got the new Samsung and it's a really nice phone.  Enormous screen and much thinner than the iPhone.  The interface is very intuitive and looks great.  Powerful and fast as well.  Interesting how Apple got the injunction banning its sales in the U.S.  Cheers!

I upgraded from the HTC EVO after my screen broke the day before it came out. It is the best phone yet I have owned and my wife is jealous (she is on an Apple I-phone 4). Light, large, and battery lasts much longer than all my past phones. Plenty of app space which was a problem for me with the EVO and the camera works very well. I use the I-pad half as much now...

Hard to believe what has changed over the past two years.

I'm on T-mobile's value plan. Basically they give you $20/month off your contract if you provide your own phone. In addition there are quite a few companies and organizations you can belong to that give you 15-20% off your monthly bill. Not a bad way to have unlimited data, minutes, and text for $50 a month and a nice phone like the Galaxy S III. The One S and Galaxy Nexus are nice phones as well.

I'm probably the only person here who has the cheapest non-smartphone that I could find running on a prepaid card of $100 for 1 year (about $8/month, hard to beat) :)

I have an iPad 3, though..

Liberty,

Take a photograph of you holding that thing up to your ear and post it on here.  That would be pretty funny! 

Yes, yes, I know you probably use headphones or a headset...I'm stupid, but not that stupid!  Cheers!

I'm on T-mobile's value plan. Basically they give you $20/month off your contract if you provide your own phone. In addition there are quite a few companies and organizations you can belong to that give you 15-20% off your monthly bill. Not a bad way to have unlimited data, minutes, and text for $50 a month and a nice phone like the Galaxy S III. The One S and Galaxy Nexus are nice phones as well.

Yeah, but they cap your data... Which as a t mobile customer, really irks me...

Liberty,

Take a photograph of you holding that thing up to your ear and post it on here.  That would be pretty funny! 

Yes, yes, I know you probably use headphones or a headset...I'm stupid, but not that stupid!  Cheers!

Ha! I didn't mean that I use the iPad for phonecalls, but I can see how the juxtaposition gave that impression :)

I do use the iPad for Facetime with the family sometimes, though, but that doesn't look quite as silly as what you had in mind...

Liberty,

Ha! I didn't mean that I use the iPad for phonecalls, but I can see how the juxtaposition gave that impression :)

I do use the iPad for Facetime with the family sometimes, though, but that doesn't look quite as silly as what you had in mind...

Speaking of awkward moments with an iPad... anybody remember this from engadget?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/25/caption-contest-spike-lee-asks-obama-to-smile-for-the-camera/

"Just because it can doesn't mean you should..." haha

Yeah, but they cap your data... Which as a t mobile customer, really irks me...

They cap your 4g data after a certain limit (my limit is 2 gb/month) but their 2g is unlimited. I switched from Sprint which has had terrible 3g speeds in my area since they got the iphone. I get faster data on T mobile's 2g than sprints 3g. I've never hit my limit. I stream Pandora often but never watch video...

I'm probably the only person here who has the cheapest non-smartphone that I could find running on a prepaid card of $100 for 1 year (about $8/month, hard to beat) :)

I have an iPad 3, though..

I have a cheap phone with Boost Mobil,  prepaid.  I get voice at $0.10/min and text messaging at $0.10/message.    No data.

I put $10 on it every few months.

I might be a tech guy, but I'm cheap.  I wait until I get home and use the home phone to make most calls.  My cell is very rarely used. I'd say less than 10 people have the number and they know that if they call it I most likely will not answer, because I keep the ringer off.  My cell phone is for me to use when I need to, not for people to get in touch with me.

My wife also has a similar phone with Boost and she uses hers less than I use mine.

I might be a tech guy, but I'm cheap.  I wait until I get home and use the home phone to make most calls.  My cell is very rarely used. I'd say less than 10 people have the number and they know that if they call it I most likely will not answer, because I keep the ringer off.  My cell phone is for me to use when I need to, not for people to get in touch with me.

that is exactly how I use my cell phone as well.  :)   

For my own convenience, not for others.

• 4 weeks later...