Euro Zone Crisis as an "Issue of Familial Relations"

yp

Found this article interesting; it represents the Euro Zone as a family and the crisis as the issue of how to solve financial matters among the members of the clan. Starring:

- " Greece as the wayward uncle who never seems to settle down and who keeps asking for a little money to tide him over"

- "Germany is the slightly priggish older brother, who ...  usually relents in the end."

- and others.

http://blogs.reuters.com/edward-hadas/2012/06/13/the-euro-crisis-as-family-drama/

Sorta helped my young, feeble mind get a slightly better understanding of the crisis with some mildly amusing analogies and history :D

Nobody says it but Germany is equally to blame in this crisis. For a decade, they have been overstating their exports. The greeks cooked their books, but in my mind, the Germans did too. 40% of their exports went to their Euro friends. But since the money to pay for that was partly a fiction/vendor financing, then German exports was partly a fiction. The difference is they got the money in Euros up front and now don't want to give part of it back - that's money that should never have been made because the buyers of the goods didn't actually have the money to buy them.

Nobody says it but Germany is equally to blame in this crisis. For a decade, they have been overstating their exports. The greeks cooked their books, but in my mind, the Germans did too. 40% of their exports went to their Euro friends. But since the money to pay for that was partly a fiction/vendor financing, then German exports was partly a fiction. The difference is they got the money in Euros up front and now don't want to give part of it back - that's money that should never have been made because the buyers of the goods didn't actually have the money to buy them.

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean.

If Germany provided the goods and took equivalent value in euros, isn't that fair exchange?

Or do you mean in more of a moral sense because those other countries would be required to take debt to repay Germany for its exports?

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean.

If Germany provided the goods and took equivalent value in euros, isn't that fair exchange?

Or do you mean in more of a moral sense because those other countries would be required to take debt to repay Germany for its exports?

I just looked up vendor financing on Investopedia; I see what you mean now. They're basically buying their own product, until such a time that the other EU countries return the value of the exports.

I can see how there could be issues with this. There's no cash flows; just deferred payments.