Bought My 1st Ever PC Today

JEast

After being a 100% Mac guy since 1990 (23 years), I bought my first ever pc today.  After waiting for nearly a year on Apple's new upgrades/products, yesterday was a big yawn with some disappointment tossed in.  Take into account the price point on the mackbooks, I broke down and bought a Dell instead.  Oh well, we all most move on at some point :(

Cheers

JEast

So Apple put a MacBook Pro into an ultrabook frame, added the best display of any laptop on the market BY FAR, upgraded CPU, RAM, HD, etc. and it's a "yawn?"

Did you want it to drive you to work too?

I understand the price point argument completely (you can get like 3 DELLs for the price of the new MBP) but to say it's a "yawn" is a huge stretch.

Yes the new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display is very nice, but $2,200??  I still say the rest of the mac line announcements were a yawn though, which is hard for a diehard mac guy to say.

Cheers

JEast

Yes the new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display is very nice, but $2,200??  I still say the rest of the mac line announcements were a yawn though, which is hard for a diehard mac guy to say.

Cheers

JEast

$2,200 is pretty much around the price point they've been going for, and they loaded in a ton more tech.  Just to give a perspective on inflation, $2200 today is about $1000 in 1984 dollars.  You can't buy significantly cheaper products with the same build quality and technical capabilities.  I don't really like the direction they're going with totally integrated systems that you can't touch, but I can't argue with the results.

Each person must decide for themselves if something is a good value for them, and I'm sure your decision makes sense for you. There's not one right answer for everybody.

Personally, I spend maybe 10-14 hours a day in front of my computer, and usually keep each model for years before upgrading, so whether I pay 1000 or 3000 for a computer, it still ends up being a ridiculously low hourly amount and I feel I get a lot more value than the amount I pay. It matters a lot more that I'm happy with it, which is why I have a Mac Pro as my main desktop.

I'd be more likely to consider a Windows computer now than a few years ago, though. Windows Vista was truly terrible and I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. But Windows 7 seems good. I still prefer OS X, though.

Each person must decide for themselves if something is a good value for them, and I'm sure your decision makes sense for you.

Personally, I spend maybe 10-14 hours a day in front of my computer, and usually keep each model for years before upgrading, so whether I pay 1000 or 3000 for a computer, it still ends up being a ridiculously low hourly amount and I feel I get a lot more value than the amount I pay. It matters a lot more that I'm happy with it, which is why I have a Mac Pro as my main desktop.

I'd be more likely to consider a Windows computer now than a few years ago, though. Windows Vista was truly terrible and I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. But Windows 7 seems good. I still prefer OS X, though.

I agree completely.

Very disappointed in the Macbook Pro retina, considering the market they are going after.  Just don't expect to replace or upgrade components on your own as the memory is soldered to the board, battery is glued down (on top of trackpad wiring actually), retina display is fused, etc..  This may seen "normal" for Macbook Pros but not from the PC notebook side.  Basically you are tied to Apple service for any repair or upgrade, hoping they don't mess with your hard drive.  Great for Apple but not so great for the consumer.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/13/teardown_of_retina_display_macbook_pro_finds_soldered_ram_propreitary_ssd.html

The Dell I bought 7 years ago was top of the line and cost me $1600 then, and it lasted me 5.5 years while using it about 10-14 hours a day.  But the Toshiba I bought a year and a half ago cost me $450 at a Boxing Day sale, and it works like a charm 10-14 hours a day.  Not a single problem. 

I can't justify...for my needs anyway, which may be completely different than someone else's...$2200 for a laptop anymore.  While there is a difference in processor speed, memory, display, etc, there is much more parity between laptops than 5 years ago.  Technology has gotten better and better, and what you pay a few hundred dollars for today, would have cost $2500-3000 5-7 years ago.  I won't ever pay more than $600-700 for a laptop!  Cheers! 

The Dell I bought 7 years ago was top of the line and cost me $1600 then, and it lasted me 5.5 years while using it about 10-14 hours a day.  But the Toshiba I bought a year and a half ago cost me $450 at a Boxing Day sale, and it works like a charm 10-14 hours a day.  Not a single problem. 

I can't justify...for my needs anyway, which may be completely different than someone else's...$2200 for a laptop anymore.  While there is a difference in processor speed, memory, display, etc, there is much more parity between laptops than 5 years ago.  Technology has gotten better and better, and what you pay a few hundred dollars for today, would have cost $2500-3000 5-7 years ago.  I won't ever pay more than $600-700 for a laptop!  Cheers!

This may fill your needs, but it's this kind of thinking that keeps developers in companies with short-sighted beancounters in 5+ year old crappy machines, with bad monitors.  There *is* a difference in productivity for a lot of different people, and a lot of it depends on your workflow. 

That said, it's certainly true that Apple has little interest in low-margin products.  As an investor, that seems somewhat appealing...

After being a 100% Mac guy since 1990 (23 years), I bought my first ever pc today.  After waiting for nearly a year on Apple's new upgrades/products, yesterday was a big yawn with some disappointment tossed in.  Take into account the price point on the mackbooks, I broke down and bought a Dell instead.  Oh well, we all most move on at some point :(

That’s funny I’ve never been an Apple guy and I recently bought my first Apple product.  I replaced my 7 year-old Creative Zen Touch with a refurbished Apple iPod Nano for $89  I was going to buy a new Creative mp3 player, but when I saw the nano for that price (cheaper than the Zen Touch 2) and realized the new Zen players where made out of plastic.  I broke down and purchased an Apple product for the first time in my life.  I like the design of it, the touch screen, and the durable feel it has, but I hate the fact that I need to use iTunes to interface with it.  Apple and their damn closed lock-down environments is why I have never used Apple for anything and I’ll probably go with another brand again next time.  Why can’t you just drag and drop mp3’s onto it like every other mp3 player?  Extremely annoying, which is too bad, because the device itself is top notch.  Needless to say I won’t be getting an iPhone or Mac anytime soon.

That’s funny I’ve never been an Apple guy and I recently bought my first Apple product.  I replaced my 7 year-old Creative Zen Touch with a refurbished Apple iPod Nano for $89  I was going to buy a new Creative mp3 player, but when I saw the nano for that price (cheaper than the Zen Touch 2) and realized the new Zen players where made out of plastic.  I broke down and purchased an Apple product for the first time in my life.  I like the design of it, the touch screen, and the durable feel it has, but I hate the fact that I need to use iTunes to interface with it.  Apple and their damn closed lock-down environments is why I have never used Apple for anything and I’ll probably go with another brand again next time.  Why can’t you just drag and drop mp3’s onto it like every other mp3 player?  Extremely annoying, which is too bad, because the device itself is top notch.  Needless to say I won’t be getting an iPhone or Mac anytime soon.

you can drag them within iTunes, but perhaps you are talking about within the file system.

you can drag them within iTunes, but perhaps you are talking about within the file system.

Yes, that is what I am talking about.  To the OS my creative Zen just looked like a portable drive which I could copy to and from.  I could also connect it in Linux and copy to and from.  My ipod forces me to use iTunes (which is not available for Linux).  I know there are ways to get around this, but when you start hacking into it, the file names are all messed up and put in multiple subdirectories, it just isn't easy to manage.  And I hate iTunes.

Yes, that is what I am talking about.  To the OS my creative Zen just looked like a portable drive which I could copy to and from.  I could also connect it in Linux and copy to and from.  My ipod forces me to use iTunes (which is not available for Linux).  I know there are ways to get around this, but when you start hacking into it, the file names are all messed up and put in multiple subdirectories, it just isn't easy to manage.  And I hate iTunes.

yup.  I dislike ipods for same reason.  itunes software sucks IMO.

Actually another thing I learned today, which I wasn't aware of...maybe some of you Apple users can confirm this.  But a friend's young son, who plays alot of video games on his computer (first shooter type), said that many of those games aren't available for Apple...only PC, Xbox, etc.  Is that true?  Cheers!

Actually another thing I learned today, which I wasn't aware of...maybe some of you Apple users can confirm this.  But a friend's young son, who plays alot of video games on his computer (first shooter type), said that many of those games aren't available for Apple...only PC, Xbox, etc.  Is that true?  Cheers!

Gaming has typically been an issue for macs.  However, recently, most major titles will also have an OSX release.  You won't be able to run a lot of the smaller games, e.g., on Steam at this point.