The Art of Learning - Josh Waitzkin

Liberty

[amazonsearch]The Art of Learning[/amazonsearch]

Haven't finished it yet, but great so far. Manages to have nothing to do with investing and business directly, but everything to do with it indirectly. A successful investor needs to be a very effective learning machine and - as Munger keeps reminding us - have many quality mental models to make sense of the world.

Trivia: The author was featured in the book and movie "Searching for Bobby Fisher", documenting part of his youth as a child chess prodigy.

Some of the Amazon reviews imply that the techniques Waitzskin offers aren't broadly applicable. Have any of you found practical uses?

I read similar critiques for Joshua Foer's book, but the basic descriptions of mnemonic techniques have been extremely productive.

Some of the Amazon reviews imply that the techniques Waitzskin offers aren't broadly applicable. Have any of you found practical uses?

I read similar critiques for Joshua Foer's book, but the basic descriptions of mnemonic techniques have been extremely productive.

I can't really say because I'm only about 70 pages in, but even if the rest of the book was to start sucking, just what I've read so far would be worth it IMO. Some insightful stuff about mindsets and avoiding bad decision downward spirals, psychological resilience, etc. Some stuff I already knew about, but always good to refresh memory, like re-reading Buffett.

I can't really say because I'm only about 70 pages in, but even if the rest of the book was to start sucking, just what I've read so far would be worth it IMO. Some insightful stuff about mindsets and avoiding bad decision downward spirals, psychological resilience, etc. Some stuff I already knew about, but always good to refresh memory, just like re-reading Buffett.

Looks interesting, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished it. Its quite informative. Brings the unknown barriers in our mind (the dogs that dose not bark) into light. Shown us what they are and tells us how he dealt with them.  Showed me some more things that i have to work on over my life time.

Also make me want to try meditation and tai chi.

I didn't expect to like the martial arts chapters as much as I did. But his strategic approach makes it seems almost like chess. And that's kind of the point... Lots of approaches and skills are transferable.

I didn't expect to like the martial arts chapters as much as I did. But his strategic approach makes it seems almost like chess. And that's kind of the point... Lots of approaches and skills are transferable.

check this out its

Unreal

check this out its

Unreal

Unreal, indeed. Very cooperative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G90YcgwAZTM

watch the entire thing. at first i though that was what it was but keep watching. i think if he use this full strength the kid would have been fully injured and other parts looks to good to be faked. But i have don't not have the extensive experience to tell.

I think he just know where the center of gravity of the kid is.

it Like betting all in when Wells fargo was at $7 it was very hard to lose money. 

I agree the student was very supportive. I don't think with the higerical structure for martial arts the why it is in China. The student can actually try all in against the master. The movements was what caught me.

I heard that unless your study tong zi gong you abilities start decorating after a certain age.

that was a interesting video i have been thinking about how to put  someone down in similar body positions, that was a great solution to the problem.

Edit: your right very cooperative !

I believe that most of these videos with an old master making students fly around without doing much are faked, or rather an interesting example of psychology and pseudo-mysticism (kind of like public hypnotism shows, which is more about finding willing partners to play along, consciously or not).

That's different from actual tournaments where strangers fight.

That's my understanding, anyway...

I think what is being done is possible. Whether this is real i have no clue i have not study it for extensive periods. the motivations, the context of the crowds, and etc. I don't have money in it i see it as unreal thing that people don't normally see.

I just though it was unreal based on motions.

here are some of  Josh Waitzkin's videos

http://www.williamccchen.com/CH16.WMV

http://www.williamccchen.com/CH15.WMV

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen him in action!

I think it is further evidence for my point above: He was the best in the world at fixed push hands and co-winner in the moving category (because the judges were corrupted, but that's another story), yet it looks nothing like the "old men making students fly around or fall down"* videos that you can find on youtube. Totally different. More like a kind of very technical wrestling that follows the laws of physics :)

* Here's the top result that I saw on youtube.

I bet that kind of stuff has been debunked numerous times (ie. it works on the students of that old master, but ask a random guy who knows nothing about the old man to fight him and things suddenly won't be as 'mystical-looking', though I bet he can still fight conventionally too). In fact, I vaguely remember seeing a video debunking that kind of stuff years ago, but I don't remember enough about it to find it on google.

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen him in action!

I think it is further evidence for my point above: He was the best in the world at fixed push hands and co-winner in the moving category (because the judges were corrupted, but that's another story), yet it looks nothing like the "old men making students fly around or fall down"* videos that you can find on youtube. Totally different. More like a kind of very technical wrestling that follows the laws of physics :)

* Here's the top result that I saw on youtube.

I bet that kind of stuff has been debunked numerous times (ie. it works on the students of that old master, but ask a random guy who knows nothing about the old man to fight him and things suddenly won't be as 'mystical-looking', though I bet he can still fight conventionally too). In fact, I vaguely remember seeing a video debunking that kind of stuff years ago, but I don't remember enough about it to find it on google.

lets find a few guys and test it  :D

I took am a little skeptical about the powers.

I would love to be able thrown away or see that it isn't possible.

Like to know how it feel.

lets find a few guys and test it  :D

I took am a little skeptical about the powers.

I would love to be able thrown away or see that it isn't possible.

Like to know how it feel.

Look at the Sexyama gifs that I posted in an earlier link.  A technically sound opponent spots weaknesses in your posture. In the first gif, Sexyama catches the opponent's raised lead leg with his hip, which allows him to tip over the rest of the body with little effort. In the second series of gifs, the opponents rushes into Sexyama, bringing his feet together and accidently placing his center of gravity, again, too close to the Sexy's hip. A quick sweep and counterbalancing arm hook sends the opponent flying. These aren't very muscular moves. It's largely good timing and leverage.