Is Tiger Back?

Parsad

I thought I would post something completely different, as I don't want anyone to think all I post about is Europe!  ;D  If any of you watched the Memorial today, Tiger looked like his old self, and I couldn't be happier. 

Yes, he's a douche, but he's still the best player of this era, and for some reason I can't give any credit to any field unless the best player in the world is present.  It's like saying you were the best boxer during Muhammed Ali's era, but you never fought Ali! 

And of course, knowing it was Nicklaus' own tournament to tie his record for career wins, he went and won it with a "fist pump" birdie on the 17th, and a "putter in the air" birdie well before the ball fell into the cup on the 18th.  The best player in the world may be back, and golf's ratings have hopefully awoken from their slumber!  Cheers!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-03/tiger-woods-wins-memorial-for-second-title-this-year-on-pga-tour.html 

That shot on 16 was vintage woods however so was his first comments after winning and tying Nicklaus. No mention of his name and the little dig that he was 36 upon reaching 72 wins. If he does get back to the same level of golf I believe so will all the As you say douche part, well really I don,t think it ever was gone.

That shot on 16 was vintage woods however so was his first comments after winning and tying Nicklaus. No mention of his name and the little dig that he was 36 upon reaching 72 wins. If he does get back to the same level of golf I believe so will all the As you say douche part, well really I don,t think it ever was gone.

Hey Ali was a douche too!  But he was great to watch.  ;D

It would be nice if Woods had some class, but nobody's perfect...except Tiger in his own mind.  But like I said, he's the best player of his generation and you have to admire that skill.  The game is so much more exciting when he's playing...whether he's winning or getting beat...and that's because you know the other guys are trying damn hard too.  Cheers! 

I've been a huge lifelong Tiger and his personal character was never part of that admiration before or after the scandal. It's unfortunate he has to be such an arrogant prick, but if your a fan of sports and competition, it doesn't get any better than watching one of, if not the greatest mental competitors of all time (in any sport!) at the top of his game. Full body chills on that 16th hole chip in!! Haven't seen a reaction like that since his 18th hole putt at the 2008 US Open to tie Rocco Mediate.

Commentators such as Brandel Chamblee on the golf channel are living in a fantasy land writing Tiger off at this point. Barring injury, he will obliterate Jack's record in due course.

Commentators such as Brandel Chamblee on the golf channel are living in a fantasy land writing Tiger off at this point. Barring injury, he will obliterate Jack's record in due course.

He should be able to, but there is no guarantee...it will depend on how his body holds up.  The game started to change just before Tiger arrived with equipment, balls, swings, etc.  There's been even more changes since with length and difficulty of courses simply to make things tougher on Tiger.  No, I suck at the game, but love watching!  ;D

Tiger was pretty much the first golfer to have a body built like a quarterback, and to put that much torque on his lower body because of his build.  His lower back, knees and ankles have taken an enormous beating, as well as his shoulder joints.  He practices as hard as he plays, and he practices even harder when he's not happy.  And there isn't much rest in between!  You'll notice how the number of tourneys he enters each year has steadily declined, and that is because his body has been beaten over the years.

He's young enough to break Nicklaus' majors record, even after the last two years lost from the scandal, but you have to hope his body holds up.  He is by far...and it's not even close you Mickleson fans and now McIlroy band wagon jumpers...the best golfer to have held clubs in the last 25 years.  Cheers!   

The decline in tournaments played happens to every player as they get better.  They make more money on tour and can pick an choose which tournaments they play in based on prize money, endorsements, appearance fees and the prestige of the tournament itself.

Players lower on the money list have to play more in the hopes to stay in the top 132 to keep their card and avoid Q school.

I've heard different sides to the Tiger being a prick thing.  He has always walked the fine line between arrogance and confidence.  But a story from a player on tour from a few years ago, I forget who it was who said it (he was a small time player for sure).  In the locker room Phil Mickelson only speaks to those he wants to and ignores most everybody else.  But Tiger has been known to say hi to a nobody, Monday qualifier that he played with months ago.  He remembers the little guy by saying hi and remembering his name. 

I don't know, it's just an anecdote from one guy but that always stuck with me.  I had hear others on tour saying how much they liked him too.  Of course many say the same about Phil.

Philly has always had a fake quality to him, always using an interviewers name repeatedly throughout an interview.  (A technique common when you want someone to like you, there's no sweeter sound that someone saying your name  ;D )

I'm glad Tiger (seems to be) back.  I really don't think golf "needs" him like it did 10 years ago, but the game just seems better with him here and playing well.

I'm a huge Nicklaus fan and don't want to see his records fall.  But a little part of me is excited that someone can be better than Jack.  Also keep in mind, some said Jack was brash and had an attitude when he played in his prime taking down records.  He has gone down in history as one of the games best sportsman. 

I too question some of the things I hear about Tiger, and i keep hearing things like that about Phil and that he's a huge douche behind the scenes.

My problem getting on Tiger's case is that what huge sports star has had a flawless character? Michael Jordan? Lord no. Lebron James? No. Kobe Bryant? No. Peyton Manning? No. Etc... Etc...

I too question some of the things I hear about Tiger, and i keep hearing things like that about Phil and that he's a huge douche behind the scenes.

My problem getting on Tiger's case is that what huge sports star has had a flawless character? Michael Jordan? Lord no. Lebron James? No. Kobe Bryant? No. Peyton Manning? No. Etc... Etc...

Roger Federer, probably.

The Hank Haney book "The Big Miss" is a pretty good read if you're a golfer and want one man's behind the scenes account.  Personally I've never liked Tiger - too many F Bombs and club throws on the course.

True, but doesn't Hank explain that in the book?  I thought he explained it something like, Tiger's really the only person in pro sports that can get pissed off like that and it have a positive affect on him.  It's his way of focusing.  (An immature way, but it worked for him none the less).

I'm veering off topic here but what was Manning's problem?  I don't remember hearing anything overtly negative. 

I'm veering off topic here but what was Manning's problem?  I don't remember hearing anything overtly negative.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything really negative about Peyton or Eli.  Other than Peyton pretty much runs the practices himself, but its worked for 12 years.  Cheers!

Yeah, I haven't heard anything really negative about Peyton or Eli.  Other than Peyton pretty much runs the practices himself, but its worked for 12 years.  Cheers!

I have some friends in Indy that said he's pretty notorious for "getting around".

I have some friends in Indy that said he's pretty notorious for "getting around".

May be true...I have no idea.  But if you are a rockstar athlete, worth tens of millions, and people (especially of the opposite sex) are telling you how great you are, it's probably not the easiest thing in the world to resist temptation when they say they want to get into your pants.  Especially after years of marriage or perhaps difficulty in the marriage.  Not to say it's ok, but it certainly happens pretty frequently.  Cheers! 

Yes, sadly cheating and pro athletes seem to pretty common.

I read, "I Was Right on Time" by Buck O'Neil this winter.  (A really good baseball player from the Negro League days).  He tells stories of rooming with Satchel Paige in the '30's and '40's and his "friends" in some of the towns they played in on the road. 

Sure does. Remember Magic Johnson?  There are consequences, some dire.  I would probably put Larry Bird up there as a reasonably good role model although I'm pretty sure he had his share of indiscretions too.  I doubt there's any high level professional athlete who hasn't cheated.  Magic Johnson talked about how at every city there would be women leaving their name and number at his hotel box.  Lawyers, businesswomen, models etc, not just any woman.  Society has its icons, and pro athletes are right up there.