How much financial media do you guys use?

beerbaron

After reading a few posts from other board members I felt like the amount of media exposure was completely different from one to the other. I for example, listen to about 20 minutes of media on the radio per day plus read the headlines on this board.

I have always felt that watching images on TV makes it more vivid and therefore transforms the information content to something more powerful; an emotional content. Therefore, I was wondering how people over here use the medias, and more importantly, how do they filter out the emotional part from the informational part?

BeerBaron

I watch 90% of the Charlie Rose videos.

I also listen to most wealth track pod cast.

Aside from that I watch most videos linked from here, Canadian Investor, and Guru Focus. These are interviews of value investors. FInally I read most posts here.

Will cut something out, running low on time.

Are we talking only television/radio media or everything?

I don't watch any financial TV except for interviews of value investors that are posted on sites like this one. Until recently, I used to put on CNBC in the morning just to see how the futures are doing and what the headlines are, but now I don't even do that anymore because I can't bear all the nonsense that they put on. I can honestly say that I feel much better not having put on CNBC for several weeks.

As far as reading, I used to spend a lot of time going through the WSJ, but have cut down a lot on that. Now I read mainly just the Money&Investing section. I also check out the FT, the Business section of the NYT, and the Economist, but don't spend too much time on those either. Most of my reading time is spent on value sites and blogs, and this forum. I've learned so much more from these than I have from all other sources.

Pretty much the same for me as Mephistopheles wrote but change CNBC to BNN and I don't read the Economist.

I used to just watch BNN for Amanda Lang  :P but even before the move to CBC I cut down on that.  I just can't stand the media "noise" anymore.  I also got frustrated that their regular guests somehow had 3 new stocks to pump every week and they always dissected the daily market moves as if it had any meaning at all.   

I read the WSJ online and have some RSS feeds from a few blogs I like and this forum.  I've cut down a lot of reading Gurufocus since they started paying for articles.  Too many of the same ideas regurgitated and way too many "Here are 5 stocks Warren Buffett would buy today" articles.  But there are a couple of posters there I really enjoy reading their stuff (John Emerson is one), but the core group of posters that were there a few years ago are long gone or rarely post. 

I do find myself tuning to AM680 to hear their business update but I usually manage to tune it out.  :o  I think it's more habit than anything to see the time while driving my car say :56 and just by habit change it to AM680.  There's no reason under the sun I would need to know the DOW futures or what crude is up/down at 6 AM...........................or any other time of day for that matter.  ;D

I don't have much interaction with the financial media especially TV or radio.  A few years ago I'd listed to Bloomberg Radio all morning as well as read the WSJ daily, I've cut out both of those.

Now:

Read the Economist

Read Barrons

Read Bloomberg Businessweek (on the fence on renewing)

I just started getting Bloomberg Markets from some airline miles, I've received one issue so far, it seems decent, I'm not sure if I'll actually enjoy reading a year's worth of the stuff though.

I've found less is more... not having the news distraction all week helps me think about what I read in the Economist a bit more.

So much o financial media is politics and politics bore me. And most of what is not politics is advertising in one form or another.

I space through some newspapers in my rss reader and only stop for company specific news. Meanwhile trying to shut my eyes from the noisy headlines.

Pretty much the same for me as Mephistopheles wrote but change CNBC to BNN and I don't read the Economist.

I used to just watch BNN for Amanda Lang  :P but even before the move to CBC I cut down on that.  I just can't stand the media "noise" anymore.  I also got frustrated that their regular guests somehow had 3 new stocks to pump every week and they always dissected the daily market moves as if it had any meaning at all.   

I read the WSJ online and have some RSS feeds from a few blogs I like and this forum.  I've cut down a lot of reading Gurufocus since they started paying for articles.  Too many of the same ideas regurgitated and way too many "Here are 5 stocks Warren Buffett would buy today" articles.  But there are a couple of posters there I really enjoy reading their stuff (John Emerson is one), but the core group of posters that were there a few years ago are long gone or rarely post. 

I do find myself tuning to AM680 to hear their business update but I usually manage to tune it out.  :o  I think it's more habit than anything to see the time while driving my car say :56 and just by habit change it to AM680.  There's no reason under the sun I would need to know the DOW futures or what crude is up/down at 6 AM...........................or any other time of day for that matter.  ;D

Interesting because, I like watching CNBC for Becky Quick. :)

Also, I've got down on GuruFocus too, because I agree, to much of the same material floating around.

I never watch the financial news stations on TV. I prefer the in-depth articles that are provided by magazines instead.

I read: BusinessWeek, Bloomberg Markets, Forbes, Fortune, and Harvard Business Review. I'm going to cancel my WSJ subscription and replace it with the NY Times which I feel is a superior paper in both business coverage and news articles.

I like watching Bloomberg for Betty Liu. I also like the demeanor of the reports on Bloomberg much more than cnbc. Sorkin has always come across as arrogant, and he looks rather young to be so all-knowing. The other guy, (Joe?) reminds me of a slightly more lively version of Columbo, but without the investigative prowess.  Their cnbc show has excellent guests, Lampert, Buffett, Ross, etc, but the interviews almost always interrupt and cut them off.

I like the Alan Abelson column in Barron's.

A couple solid value blogs.

Gmo white papers

Managers commentary: sequoia, long leaf, Berkshire East Coast Capital, etc.

for audio/video:

Wealth track

The Value Guys stock talk podcast (used to be value line observer)

A little Bloomberg (select interviews that are usually highlighted in the blogs I read)

Twitter is a great source if you are selective about who you follow.

Most financial tv media, including Bloomberg at times just gives me a headache with all the different windows and crawls going on simultaneously.