Paying up for better quality items

CONeal

i have a Humanscale Freedom chair that I paid up for and it's great, but since the I switched to a standing deak configuration, so it doesn't get as much use...

I highly recommend standing desks! We haven't evolved to sit so much...

I've been thinking about a standing desk.  Can you say more about the experience?

You might find this helpful.

http://crackberry.com/standing-desks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little rambling - I pay up for good shoes. Can have them resoled rather than throw away. I like Cole Haan.  Buy most clothes after season ends. Hate to pay full price for any clothes. A good leather jacket looks great as it wears and will last a long time. I buy high end used cars...three or four years old - let someone else take the big hit on depreciation. I had a MB for 9 years and an Acura for 8 both great cars. Low maint and repairs. Got my money's worth! My biggest luxury is plush bath towels definitely worth paying up.

i have a Humanscale Freedom chair that I paid up for and it's great, but since the I switched to a standing deak configuration, so it doesn't get as much use...

I highly recommend standing desks! We haven't evolved to sit so much...

I've been thinking about a standing desk.  Can you say more about the experience?

I got a used ikea fredrick desk for $50 and set it up to standing height. It took me about 2-3 weeks to adapt - at first my feet hurt a lot - but after that adaptation period, I feel absolutely fine. My legs gained tons of muscle, I walk around every time I need to think, and I feel better physically.

Initially, I wanted to get a motorized desk that can be adjusted for both sitting and standing, but I went with the cheap ikea desk as an experiment before spending over a grand on a motorized desk. I'm glad I did, because I'm not going back to sitting, so the expensive desk would have been a waste...

What products do board members pay up for in order to have A better quality item and something that will last several years?  Basically to save money in the long run.

I rarely pay up for anything...in other words, I like to look awful and put myself through a lot of pain!  :D

Vehicles - I pay a reasonable price to get a High Quality Vehicle - There is nothing I hate worse than going to the repair garage and being forced to pay up when you dont expect it.

I've owned very nice cars and I've owned average cars, and I've come to the stage of my life where I find that a car is simply a utility for transportation, and I couldn't care what I drive anymore.  I had two cars, and a couple of years ago I sold one of them, and found that taking public transportation Monday to Friday was the best thing I could have ever done.  I walk a hell of alot more, there is no stress Monday to Friday when going and coming from the office, and I save a ton of money on gas and parking, while using time that normally would have been wasted in traffic.

Vacations - Prefer adventure travel to cruises, or beach vacations.

Depends what I'm doing.  I'll easily pay up for a nice hotel, because I like a good nights sleep somewhere clean, with a fitness centre and pool.  If I'm doing adventure travel, I've found as someone else said that cheap is actually a good way to go...although I did this a hell of a lot more when I was younger!

Home renovations. Our first couple of renos, I did all of the work myself, and selected materials largely on price. I wouldn't do that again in any place I planned to stay in for a long time.

I would say this is accurate, but it doesn't mean the highest bidder does the best job.  I think references are valuable, and just following up on the contractor regularly.

Healthy food. This is mostly my wife's doing, but we now buy almost everything organic.

I'll almost never pay up for organic.  All the burger joints I've been to in my life probably did far more damage than organic broccoli could ever repair, so I go cheap on groceries.  But my fridge and pantry are packed and I can pretty much make you anything you want, when you want it in my house.

Tools- there is something to be said for quality hand and power tools.

This is accurate as long as you use them somewhat regularly.  Otherwise it is capital tied up in something that never gets used, and I've made it almost a religion since I started the funds to forgo things where I tie up capital with little utility.

Having a Macbook and a good phone are also invaluable.

I think a good laptop and phone are important if you use them alot.  Doesn't have to be a Mac.  I've never owned a Mac, but my laptops have all been great...actually the best single purchase I've ever made, since I use them more than my bed or tv.  I buy them cheap on Boxing week sales usually.  Never the newest model, but one step below that they are trying to get rid of.

A high quality Mattress! 

I would say an incredibly important purchase for most people.  Although for myself, I fall asleep 3-4 days a week on my sofa while watching Bloomberg at like 1am, so I sleep on my bed maybe half the time! 

Hair cut. For 6 years I ended up driving 120 miles round trip to get a haircut from a person who knows how to cut my hair just the way I like.

Only if you have hair!  ;D  I shave my own head after losing most of it!  Keeps me humble and I feel like a buddhist monk...studying the scrolls of Buffett.

BBQ

I bought the best charcoal bbq there is.A Big Green Egg.Use it at least 3 times a week.Ask Sanjeev he's eaten off it.

Yes, definitely worth it if you BBQ as much as Stone19.  Truly the best pulled pork I've ever had was at his house!

And a high quality desk chair!

Yes, this is definitely a good idea if you are sitting for most of the day.  Cheers!

I used to be very cheap when I was younger...

I have started to spend more, paying up in many areas for quality.  Partly out of a change in philosophy in marginal utility of spending vs. savings (while I am still young, I have decided enjoying some of my money while younger is a hedge against death or divorce), and partly out of a growing recognition that paying up for quality can be a better value at times. 

Clothing - higher quality clothing will fit better and last longer.  I am very skinny; off-the-rack clothing fits me poorly.  I buy most of my suits/dress shirts custom fit now.  Clothing is very important to your appearance and presentation of your personal brand.  Prospective clients can be superficial and judgmental (consciously or subconsciously), and this can affect one's success. 

Food/alcohol- This falls into more of the 1st bucket, change in philosophy.  Treat myself to nice restaurants/bars on occasion.

Vacations- Definitely 1st bucket.  Treat myself to splurging for nicer lodging, etc now and enjoy some of my money in my youth.

At this point I live in an urban area, and so I don't own a car nor do I own a home.  Spending on transportation / housing are still minimized on my books. 

A lot of this is just a matter of deferred gratification and drawing a balance between not living like a complete cheapo, enjoying some luxuries while still in 20's, while also still saving the bulk of my after-tax discretionary income. 

I used to be very cheap when I was younger...

I have started to spend more, paying up in many areas for quality.  Partly out of a change in philosophy in marginal utility of spending vs. savings (while I am still young, I have decided enjoying some of my money while younger is a hedge against death or divorce), and partly out of a growing recognition that paying up for quality can be a better value at times. 

Clothing - higher quality clothing will fit better and last longer.  I am very skinny; off-the-rack clothing fits me poorly.  I buy most of my suits/dress shirts custom fit now.  Clothing is very important to your appearance and presentation of your personal brand.  Prospective clients can be superficial and judgmental (consciously or subconsciously), and this can affect one's success. 

Food/alcohol- This falls into more of the 1st bucket, change in philosophy.  Treat myself to nice restaurants/bars on occasion.

Vacations- Definitely 1st bucket.  Treat myself to splurging for nicer lodging, etc now and enjoy some of my money in my youth.

At this point I live in an urban area, and so I don't own a car nor do I own a home.  Spending on transportation / housing are still minimized on my books. 

A lot of this is just a matter of deferred gratification and drawing a balance between not living like a complete cheapo, enjoying some luxuries while still in 20's, while also still saving the bulk of my after-tax discretionary income.

I'm slowly converting over to the train of thought over the last year.  It's actually more difficult then I thought it would be.  In my mid 30's and my first actual vacation (since college) was last year.  Rented a beach house for a week with friends, it was a blast and very relaxing.  Bought a bed two weeks ago (first since I was 14) thought I was going to have a heart attack shelling out the money but damn that bed is comfortable.

I read Amazon reviews for almost everything I buy and usually get the item that fulfills my function with the lowest price as long as 80% of people rate it with 4 or 5 stars. To be honest, I can't remember the last gadget I bought that didn't come from and online retailer. I pay up for shoes, computer components, kitchen ware, A/V equipment, and climbing gear.

I saw a lot of people comment about paying up for computers. If you build a desktop computer yourself you will understand how the big manufacturers cut corners to keep their profit margins up. Dell, HP, Apple you name it will include inferior quality motherboards, power supplies, RAM, and peripherals. That being said, I would look for the cheapest laptop you can find that has the specs you need. The quality of the components is not going to vary tremendously. I have never owned an Apple laptop and can't speak to their quality because the OS cannot run the software I need so I don't even consider the platform. 

The best place I have found to get deals on quality A/V equipment is Amazon Warehouse Deals. Amazon sells a lot of used merchandise from B&M retailers at great prices. I have never been dissatisfied with anything I have bought from them. 

Same things as most it seems. Shoes, dress shirts, jeans, vacations if "luxury all-in",...

I'm also looking to buy a decent desk chair that I can use forever and when I move I'll also look for a decent mattras.

Definitely not for phones (xperia u does just fine), laptops (dell, idem) and other things that have fast depreciation and don't add to an experience (that I would really enjoy or want) like cars etc.

I have started to spend more, paying up in many areas for quality.  Partly out of a change in philosophy in marginal utility of spending vs. savings (while I am still young, I have decided enjoying some of my money while younger is a hedge against death or divorce)...

LOL!  That was funny, but sadly true.  Cheers!

I have started to spend more, paying up in many areas for quality.  Partly out of a change in philosophy in marginal utility of spending vs. savings (while I am still young, I have decided enjoying some of my money while younger is a hedge against death or divorce)...

LOL!  That was funny, but sadly true.  Cheers!

After I got to the point where I had multiples of my spending saved, and my savings as a % of after-tax income was well over 50%, I realized how dumb it would be if I got hit by a bus tomorrow and never got to enjoy any of it. 

I had always assumed my life would be divided into 2 phases; one in which I aggressively pinched pennies until I reached a certain net worth level that I could retire on if necessary, and then use that financial stability to start my own business in the 2nd phase of my life.  However, I have now decided that if it means I don't get to phase to until age 31 or 32 (vs. 30), and I get to enjoy my late 20's more, then I might as well spend what I want, not worry, and look at it as a hedge against death or divorce.

I had always assumed my life would be divided into 2 phases; one in which I aggressively pinched pennies until I reached a certain net worth level that I could retire on if necessary, and then use that financial stability to start my own business in the 2nd phase of my life.  However, I have now decided that if it means I don't get to phase to until age 31 or 32 (vs. 30), and I get to enjoy my late 20's more, then I might as well spend what I want, not worry, and look at it as a hedge against death or divorce.

I think that is what saving money gives you...that freedom to choose how you live your life.  You might as well enjoy some of your savings when you have good knees, hips and no arthritis!  ;D 

It was my penny pinching from my early 20's that allowed me to start the funds years ago, otherwise I would not have been able to make that choice.  And then once I started the funds, I decided that unlike many other fund managers, I would continue to pinch pennies so that I didn't have to shut the fund down in the future because spending became wayward. 

To me, money means nothing more than being able to have choices, and that's what it is all about.  I don't care about material things, but I do like the ability to have the freedom to choose what I do every day...and both penny pinching and saving are crucial to that.  Cheers!

To me, money means nothing more than being able to have choices, and that's what it is all about.  I don't care about material things, but I do like the ability to have the freedom to choose what I do every day...and both penny pinching and saving are crucial to that.  Cheers!

That pretty much describes how I look at things too. What I want is independence and freedom, not shiny stuff. Most of what I like to do doesn't cost much anyway.

I think that is what saving money gives you...that freedom to choose how you live your life.  You might as well enjoy some of your savings when you have good knees, hips and no arthritis!  ;D 

It was my penny pinching from my early 20's that allowed me to start the funds years ago, otherwise I would not have been able to make that choice.  And then once I started the funds, I decided that unlike many other fund managers, I would continue to pinch pennies so that I didn't have to shut the fund down in the future because spending became wayward. 

I agree with this completely and have no really expensive habits, but I wouldn't necessarily call that penny pinching. I don't mind paying up for things that are material to me such as golf equipment, books, computers, sport channels (and beer). I won't buy gadgets and gizmos just for the heck of it, though. I do own a car which was bought brand new and I would certainly get by without a car, but it would make my life a bit less comfortable.

Ordered an Ipad yesterday and I have hopes it will improve my reading efficiency. Maybe there are other cheaper tablets which would serve that function just as well. Owning an Iphone, I decided that I can trust the Ipad to do the things I want without a hassle. If I were poorer than I am, I would certainly explore the matter further but I decided it just wasn't interesting or worth it to me.

That pretty much describes how I look at things too. What I want is independence and freedom, not shiny stuff. Most of what I like to do doesn't cost much anyway.

The most important things in life are free.

The most important things in life are free.

Sounds like a Mastercard ad :)

The most important things in life are free aren't things.

;)

LOL

This thread is a riot.

Hey, this site isn't just about making money, but how to spend it and live your life too!  We seem to have one of these threads every year.  I remember last year's was on groceries and people's buying habits!

I believe that was the thread where Ericopoly said his wife had just choked the chicken...literally!  She had broken the neck of a hen bare-handed, and that was that night's dinner!  ;D  Cheers!

;)

LOL

This thread is a riot.

Hey, this site isn't just about making money, but how to spend it and live your life too!  We seem to have one of these threads every year.  I remember last year's was on groceries and people's buying habits!

I believe that was the thread where Ericopoly said his wife had just choked the chicken...literally!  She had broken the neck of a hen bare-handed, and that was that night's dinner!  ;D  Cheers!

Yeah, that brings back memories. 

;)

LOL

This thread is a riot.

The best way to dispatch the chicken and drain the blood without getting it on anything other than the ground is to grab the chicken by the back of the head, pinching the neck with the thumb and forefinger, swing the chicken around the wrist once or twice, then suddenly stop the motion of the forearm and pop the wrist (this is called wringing the chicken's neck). 

The head and neck will then come off the chicken, and the headless chicken will flop around on the ground and actually get up and run around flapping its wings while spurting blood onto the ground through the headless opening for about a minute before expiring.

Cheers!  (for all but the chicken and the other birds in the flock that will not be pleased by this activity)

;)

LOL

This thread is a riot.

The best way to dispatch the chicken and drain the blood without getting it on anything other than the ground is to grab the chicken by the back of the head, pinching the neck with the thumb and forefinger, swing the chicken around the wrist once or twice, then suddenly stop the motion of the forearm and pop the wrist (this is called wringing the chicken's neck). 

The head and neck will then come off the chicken, and the headless chicken will flop around on the ground and actually get up and run around flapping its wings while splurting blood onto the ground through the headless opening for about a minute before expiring.

Cheers!  (for all but the chicken and the other birds in the flock that will not be pleased by this activity)

Is this an analogy about RIM?  Either way I'm going vegan for the next year. Thanks.