66% of Dakshana's 2011-2012 Students Accepted By IIT's!

Parsad

Corner Market Capital supports two non-profits.  One is obviously "The Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of Canada" in memory of JoAnn Butler.  The other is Mohnish's foundation "Dakshana". 

Mohnish just released the results from this year's class, and 66% of his students were accepted by the various campuses of the "Indian Institute of Technology" or "IIT's".  Both Prem and Ajit Jain are IIT graduates.  These are extraordinary numbers!  Some 400,000 students apply to the IIT's every year, and I believe they only accept 4,000...73 came from Dakshana, out of 110 that were enrolled in Dakshana's preparatory class! 

Every improverished student from Dakshana that eventually graduates from IIT, will change the lives of so many more within their family and extended family, simply because their income level would climb from the average income of about $1,200 a year to $25,000 a year...which would be the equivalent of about $125,000 a year in North America.  This leverage is what attracted us to Mohnish's foundation.  For more information, please go to www.dakshana.org.

Congratulations to this year's class!  Cheers!

Some 400,000 students apply to the IIT's every year, and I believe they only accept 4,000...73 came from Dakshana, out of 110 that were enrolled in Dakshana's preparatory class! 

I got the information only today about 73 making it to IIT-JEE rank. Fantastic effort by foundation.

Just a quick information: 560,000 students appeared this year. All 73 might not get a seat in IIT even though they are in rank list. Rank list has almost twice the number of seats available in IIT. I do think that majority of them will get a seat because lot of students at Dakshana are from underprivileged class. There are reserved seats for them once they get a rank in IIT.

I was trying to convince some one else to replicate this approach in different country. They wanted to set up a foundation but wanted biggest bang for money used. Problem was finding a leveraged set up like IIT, where only cost is to put the students there.

Fantastic execution by Mohnish and team. It was not easy to pull it off. Once of the similar effort is done by another person. See below,

http://www.super30.org/

Infact, Mohnish wanted this guy to scale it up and he wanted to give money to him but he did not take the offer. I think he did provide some help in setting up a process for identifying bright but poor students at Dakshana who can be further coached to join IIT.

Some 400,000 students apply to the IIT's every year, and I believe they only accept 4,000...73 came from Dakshana, out of 110 that were enrolled in Dakshana's preparatory class! 

I got the information only today about 73 making it to IIT-JEE rank. Fantastic effort by foundation.

Just a quick information: 560,000 students appeared this year. All 73 might not get a seat in IIT even though they are in rank list. Rank list has almost twice the number of seats available in IIT. I do think that majority of them will get a seat because lot of students at Dakshana are from underprivileged class. There are reserved seats for them once they get a rank in IIT.

I was trying to convince some one else to replicate this approach in different country. They wanted to set up a foundation but wanted biggest bang for money used. Problem was finding a leveraged set up like IIT, where only cost is to put the students there.

Fantastic execution by Mohnish and team. It was not easy to pull it off. Once of the similar effort is done by another person. See below,

http://www.super30.org/

Infact, Mohnish wanted this guy to scale it up and he wanted to give money to him but he did not take the offer. I think he did provide some help in setting up a process for identifying bright but poor students at Dakshana who can be further coached to join IIT.

Hi Rranjan,

Thanks for the updated information!  Also, many of those that don't make it to IIT get accepted to other top universities, including full scholarships to some American and European schools.  So that's still a significant improvement in their total lifetime income, and then the eventual trickle down effect it has on their families and community.  Cheers!

Hi Rranjan,

Thanks for the updated information!  Also, many of those that don't make it to IIT get accepted to other top universities, including full scholarships to some American and European schools.  So that's still a significant improvement in their total lifetime income, and then the eventual trickle down effect it has on their families and community.  Cheers!

I am aware of that because they will get good rank in AEEE and get good seats in NIT and as you said in some cases in US/American schools. I brought up IIT seat & rank equation because this is the first time rank list is almost twice the number of seats, which surprised me.

• 3 months later...

The program looks like it does some great work.  I do have a question though... the program helps pay for tutoring to help prepare for the entrance exam but once the students do well on the test and get accepted, how are they expected to pay for the university education?

They have tie up with lenders which allows students to get loan with very lenient terms. It won't be efficient use ot money if you have to support students after getting into IIT. Most students gets placed in campus in their 4th year and they can afford to pay the loan back. Simply, there is no need to support students after they get admission in IIT.