My loss is multiple of the index from these days.

alertmeipp

alert, what I found interesting last fall when the markets were selling off was not everything sold off at the same time. Some stuff bottomed in August and then moved higher. Other stuff was stronger in Aug/Sept and then sold off later. It seemed like the market was cycling through sectors, one at a time.

I was wanting to purchase USB and watched it fall all the way to $20. I did not buy it because I felt the market would trade much lower in the coming weeks. What happened? USB moved much higher and the overall market sold off. I never did establish a position. My learning from last year is to not get too cute on the buy side. When I get a chance to buy great companies at very cheap prices do it.

It is unfortunate you are down more than the average; just bad luck that you hold the sectors that are out of favour at the moment.   

Rec if u are in the same boat.  :o

S&P is above 1300 but looking at my portfolio, it looks like it's at 20% lower.

You do know that we can't rec on this board. ;)

I'm into a lot of resource companies that have just posted record results and are getting slaughtered. Pure Energy and Total Energy to mention a couple.

alert, what I found interesting last fall when the markets were selling off was not everything sold off at the same time. Some stuff bottomed in August and then moved higher. Other stuff was stronger in Aug/Sept and then sold off later. It seemed like the market was cycling through sectors, one at a time.

I was wanting to purchase USB and watched it fall all the way to $20. I did not buy it because I felt the market would trade much lower in the coming weeks. What happened? USB moved much higher and the overall market sold off. I never did establish a position. My learning from last year is to not get too cute on the buy side. When I get a chance to buy great companies at very cheap prices do it.

It is unfortunate you are down more than the average; just bad luck that you hold the sectors that are out of favour at the moment. 

I sure hope so, very well put.

Rec if u are in the same boat.  :o

S&P is above 1300 but looking at my portfolio, it looks like it's at 20% lower.

You do know that we can't rec on this board. ;)

I'm into a lot of resource companies that have just posted record results and are getting slaughtered. Pure Energy and Total Energy to mention a couple.

Please "reply" then. :)

Yes, commodities based companies which are well discussed here are getting killed last couple week - SD, FTP, CHK, ATPG, POT, MERC, CFX.TO, PBN.TO. At least 20-30%.

Were only up single digits for the year now, we were up high 30's at one point. Does that mean we should have sold it all then? Absolutely not! I am not a trader I am an investor and if I were to get lucky that one time and incorporated it into my latticework who's to say I wouldn't time a buy wrong the next time.

We buy when things go down, never when they go up. Even in a bull market I always buy on down days....

Were buying more every day.

Were only up single digits for the year now, we were up high 30's at one point. Does that mean we should have sold it all then? Absolutely not! I am not a trader I am an investor and if I were to get lucky that one time and incorporated it into my latticework who's to say I wouldn't time a buy wrong the next time.

We buy when things go down, never when they go up. Even in a bull market I always buy on down days....

Were buying more every day.

moore_capital54 , What's ur cash level?