Munger Interview

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link.  Charlie has to be a tough interview.  Standard questions tend toward the obvious, to which Charlie probably has to restrain from blurting out how obvious he finds the answers.  Becky looked a bit uncomfortable at times.

Virtue, is something that has been lost on this new generation. I blame it to a certain degree on the lack of interest in religion. Religion, and the institution of marriage are key pillars that helped build great societies and both are in decline.

weak.

Virtue, is something that has been lost on this new generation. I blame it to a certain degree on the lack of interest in religion. Religion, and the institution of marriage are key pillars that helped build great societies and both are in decline.

Yea superstition makes people more virtuous...

Please.

Well, I guess I disagree. e.g. Buffett and Munger are virtuous but don't seem to have much interest in religion. Personally I never understood the fascination with superstition.

I would join a religion, maybe, if they would strip out all the superstition.  It's a tall order, I'll admit.

And marriage... well for some folks it isn't even legal to get married.  How about fixing the law to at least give them the opportunity to be married?

Guest Hester

This is by far the dumbest thing you have ever written.

Real religion is not superstition, read Mortimer Adler's "Concerning God, Modern Man, & Religion" at radicalacademy.com. You must have been exposed to some of the bad theology in circulation.

Ironically I couldn't agree more with this statement. I'm biased b/c I come from a very strong religious background, but particularly regarding the marriage point I think it's spot on. I don't think this is the place to discuss, thus I won't any further, but just wanted to throw it out there that at least someone else agrees with the statement...

I agree about marriage but not about religion. We really do not derive our morals from religious dogma - no one does - , but mens' actions are certainly more restrained and less aggressive (more 'moral' in the utilitarian sense) as a result of marriage and children. Tying down fathers, especially young ones, to their children is a good thing for society as a whole and no matter what we may feel towards marriage as an institution and concept it accomplishes just this.

What's interesting about religion is that it can take any form from the genocide and mass rapes of Midianites to the search for eggs on Easter. The virtue of the religion isn't related to the forthcoming virtuousness of the society.

By the way, when we say virtue, we are all talking about the same thing, right?

I agree about marriage but not about religion. We really do not derive our morals from religious dogma - no one does - , but mens' actions are certainly more restrained and less aggressive (more 'moral' in the utilitarian sense) as a result of marriage and children. Tying down fathers, especially young ones, to their children is a good thing for society as a whole and no matter what we may feel towards marriage as an institution and concept it accomplishes just this.

Is there any evidence for this in a modern context? It would be difficult to have a natural experiment because the type of factors that change marital relations probably touch on a range of cultural issues.

Wouldn't we expect to see something like an increase in violent crime by males increase among age groups given lower marriage rates?

Is there any evidence for this in a modern context? It would be difficult to have a natural experiment because the type of factors that change marital relations probably touch on a range of cultural issues.

Wouldn't we expect to see something like an increase in violent crime by males increase among age groups given lower marriage rates?

You are right, it's not fair to compare across cultures so natural experiments in that sense are out.

I draw my conclusions from what I've read about male propensity for violence depending on marital status. Of course, there is room for doubt when I extrapolate that to be causation and to be true for whole societies but I don't think I'm going out on that much of a limb tbf. Also, there are lots of studies which show decrease in testosterone in fathers when they are around their children, which I think gives some support to my deduction.

Gents as often seems to be the case, you have taken my statements out of context. If you re-read what I said, it was "to a certain degree the lack of interest in religion" - I myself am not a super religious person. But you all jumped on it as though I was the next Glenn Beck.

Religion has both good and bad aspects, but the key tenets underlying the abrahamic religions have been extremely important to the development of compassion and a sense of community in societies. And this has been lost by the new generation.

I will agree that marriage is a more important factor, but you must remember that the institution of marriage derived from the abrahamic religions.

I apologise if I offended any of you...

I'm not religious in the least.  Having said that I do find that people who are deeply religious are often those I would depend on the most, that I trust the most, because they have acted in a virtuous manner in the past.

I recently got in a little bit of a spat with my roommate, who is very liberal, about Mitt Romney.  He laughed at the thought of Romney as an attractive candidate because of how 'stupid' mormonism was.  Although I haven't ever found a religion I believed in, I found it attractive that at least he was raised to have a sense of right or wrong. 

BTW I think Obama has done a good job and I feel like we have two great candidates as of right now.  Something that I wouldn't be able to say in the past 3 elections.

Just something I thought would be thought provoking, don't jump on me like you did Moore.