What's Behind RIM's "Dyslexic" Marketing Missteps?

Parsad

Anyone who has watched RIMM's marketing over the last two years, knows that it's a mess.  Here's an article on it.  Personally, I think they should focus on business, security and function.  Their recent ads seem to be targeting 18-25 year olds, yet their core users are 35+ business people.  Cheers!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/whats-behind-rims-dyslexic-marketing-missteps/article2420208/

FWIW, last summer I had my 15 year old nephew from the Netherlands staying with us. He had a Blackberry and would not have changed for an iphone or an android phone. He said the BB was much better for texting his friends and that all the teenagers there wanted one and did not care about having a touchscreen... I suspect it's going to change over time... But this might be an area for growth that RIMM is targeting...

Guest valueInv

FWIW, last summer I had my 15 year old nephew from the Netherlands staying with us. He had a Blackberry and would not have changed for an iphone or an android phone. He said the BB was much better for texting his friends and that all the teenagers there wanted one and did not care about having a touchscreen... I suspect it's going to change over time... But this might be an area for growth that RIMM is targeting...

Was that before Apple introduced iMessage?

I don't know what the future trends will be but I'm very sure there is a very real market for phones like BB, but they miss some focus. Here in Europe there are still plenty of people who favor something like BB without a touch screen. I myself prefer BB above Iphone as well and I'm 22. I see plenty of men and women who prefer to text with a 'no touch screen'-BB above an Iphone.

What RIMM has to develop further: Robust quality, great functionality without useless apps, easy to handle, long battery life and no touch screen. RIMM should focus on this market and the business side like Parsad said. In 5 years we'll all be suprised at what has changed, there is no way to forcast it... but RIMM still has a chance imo.

I have always viewed BB as having two differnt core market segements.  You have of course the business segement that uses it for business needs and should be marketed as such.  The other segement is 12 -18 year olds.  There are a shitload of 13 year old girls that buy a BB for the sole purpose of being able to use BB Messenger between friends.