And Buffett's Successor Is...

Parsad

It takes about five years for an outsider to learn all the ins and outs of a CEO's job in an unfamiliar industry, even more so with Berkshire. The only highly qualified person who knows everything that goes on in all the varied Berkshire subsidiaries and the headquarters is the number three corporate officer after Warren and Charlie.  :)

I don't think its worth spending much time on it since I trust Buffett and the board will make the right decision.  However, I believe it will be Brad Kinstler.  He currently manages Buffett and Munger's beloved See's candy.  He previously managed one of the insurance subsidiaries and was then sent to Fechheimer to solve some problems.  He has experience in a diverse group of the Berkshire businesses and has 'grown up' in the Berkshire culture.  Ajit Jain is mentioned often, but I think of him as more of an actuary than a CEO/manager.  I don't think he would be interested in the high profile position.  He seems more comfortable behind the scenes while living in New York.

I think that Buffett would like to have his successor not be much older that 45 when she takes over in order to give her a long (at least 20 year) run.

Also, I think he would like to put an element of apparent surprise in his selection.

I think that Buffett would like to have his successor not be much older that 45 when she takes over in order to give her a long (at least 20 year) run.

Also, I think he would like to put an element of apparent surprise in his selection.

I knew it, Becky Quick! ;)

It takes about five years for an outsider to learn all the ins and outs of a CEO's job in an unfamiliar industry, even more so with Berkshire. The only highly qualified person who knows everything that goes on in all the varied Berkshire subsidiaries and the headquarters is the number three corporate officer after Warren and Charlie.  :)

Also, Warren's statement about how familiar the Berkshire Board of Directors have become with the CEO In Waiting strongly suggests a long term Omaha resident who works in the headquarters.  Realize that the previous number one candidate for the job, Mr. Sokol, took business trips with Warren and was frequently in Omaha where Warren could mentor him.

Marc is the man.  :)