BERKSHIRE SAYS BUFFETT DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE I PROSTATE CANCER

To the Shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway:

This is to let you know that I have been diagnosed with stage I prostate cancer. The good

news is that I’ve been told by my doctors that my condition is not remotely lifethreatening or even debilitating in any meaningful way. I received my diagnosis last

Wednesday. I then had a CAT scan and a bone scan on Thursday, followed by an MRI

today. These tests showed no incidence of cancer elsewhere in my body.

My doctors and I have decided on a two-month treatment of daily radiation to begin in

mid-July. This regimen will restrict my travel during that period, but will not otherwise

change my daily routine.

I feel great – as if I were in my normal excellent health – and my energy level is 100

percent. I discovered the cancer because my PSA level (an indicator my doctors had

regularly checked for many years) recently jumped beyond its normal elevation and a

biopsy seemed warranted.

I will let shareholders know immediately should my health situation change. Eventually,

of course, it will; but I believe that day is a long way off.

Warren E. Buffett

I hope he stays healthy for many more decades!

An early prostate CA diagnosis is relatively OK at this age.  It is very common and men are much more likely to die with this, rather than because of it.  PSA screening is not recommended over 75 yrs in the US.  However, if it is being monitored it would be reasonable to continue to check.  However, the risks/side effects of biopsy/treatment may not be reasonable in all cases.

We have recently finished the final editing of our latest book on prostate problems including prostate cancer.  I was the general editor of the book. 

Almost certainly, the best course of action for someone diagnosed with stage I prostate cancer is not  to treat it in any way, but to engage in "active surveillance" to see if this usually indolent cancer shows any evidence of becoming aggressive.  If the cancer shows evidence of becoming aggressive, as is the case about 15% of the time, it can be treated then with a high degree of success. 

Active surveillance  is especially apropos for elderly men because life expectancy is such that the risk of prostate cancer progression within that life span is much lower than in younger men.  Treatment has risks and serious side effects, and the overall mortality with active surveillance is no worse for stage I prostate cancer than with early treatment.

Guys, this seems as some non-event,... I'm not so worried. Actually my dad had some kind of benign prostate problems too,... probably for the last 10-15 years,... he is old, and still alive. His doctors told him that such small benign prostate problems have almost all elderly men in later life. If these problems are small and don't grow,... like some small... more widened prostate, as in his case, it can even go unchecked. He might rather get struck by a truck.

So,... I'm rather worried about our nice board member, who wrote the header of this message thread in "capital letters". I guess that he had some good intentions to show us these urgent news. But I personally stay calm about this. I feel, somebody might rather get some eye sickness reading those capital letters,... at least my head still spins ::) 

I urge you to stay calm, and sleep peacefully tonight,... as I will.  Cheers!

So,... I'm rather worried about our nice board member, who wrote the header of this message thread in "capital letters". I guess that he had some good intentions to show us these urgent news. But I personally stay calm about this. I feel, somebody might rather get some eye sickness reading those capital letters,... at least my head still spins ::) 

I think that's just a cut & paste of the bloomberg headline, which was in caps.

I guess so,...

There are more elderly men with the same problems, and they still dance around happily.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/04/17/high-profile-figures-who-beat-prostate-cancer/?mod=yahoo_hs

<snip>....

Michael Milken – The former junk bond giant founded the Prostate Cancer Foundation in 1993 after he was diagnosed with the disease.

Joe Torre – The former Yankee’s manager was diagnosed in 1999, and went on to win the World Series that year while publicly becoming a face for fighting the disease.

Nelson Mandela – In 2001, at the age of 83, the former South African leader was diagnosed. He is still living at 93.

Rudy Giuliani – The former New York mayor was diagnosed mid senate run in 2000.

Arnold Palmer – The golfing legend was operated on in 1997, already in his 60s, and is still golfing today. His name is on the Eisenhower Medical Center’s Arnold Palmer Prostate Cancer Center.

Colin Powell – Diagnosed while secretary of state, continued in office.

...</snip>

----------

Buffett’s Cancer No Reason to Sell Berkshire: Tilson

Tilson has done some Internet research and tells us, “I’m relieved to tell you the 5 year survival rate for stage 1 prostate cancer is 99.9%."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47078965?__source=yahoo%7Cheadline%7Cquote%7Ctext%7C&par=yahoo

I'm hoping for another strong 15 years out of Buffett.  However, on the date of Warren's death, there may be a fantastic opportunity for the Berkshire board to utilize the buyback.  This will pay dividends to shareholders for years in to the future.

Funny how a total non news item removes a few billion in market value.

Well, that's Mr. Market for you.

But at the same time, those of us who have never had to deal with this type of cancer wont know at first how benign it is... So I can understand how the first reaction can be out of proportion, but it's the media's job to provide context and for people to do their research.

all caps was copy/paste from bloomberg