What America Buys

Liberty

Interesting. I'm surprised they spend only 15% on groceries, restaurants and delis.

I spend a lot more than that and believe me it doesn't end up in the garbage bin.

Then maybe we pay a lot more for these stuff up here in Canada...?

And they don't buy a lot of books/magazines (but then maybe they read online and borrow books from the library). Wonder if that number includes schools books or not.

Guest Hester

And they don't buy a lot of books/magazines (but then maybe they read online and borrow books from the library). Wonder if that number includes schools books or not.

Haha, silly Canadian, Americans don't read!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/04/05/149997097/what-americans-buy?sc=fb&cc=fp

Interesting to see the change over time. Would love to see the same thing for Canadian.

Stats Canada has all the reports on their website but it's separated per year and you have to read through the report to get the percentages of income/expenditures. 

For 2009 average household spending was $72000.

Food 10%

Shelter 20%

Transportation 12%

Taxes (not income tax, obviously) 20%

Education 1.5%

Reading materials 0.3%

I can't seem to find any data before 1997 on their site though. 

Haha, silly Canadian, Americans don't read!

Sadly, I don't think most canadians are any better... We don't have a representative sample here.