contacting Howard Marks

racemize

Hi all, I've written an essay on risk that was inspired by Howard Marks.  I was thinking of sending it to him (I mention him and his thoughts in the essay), but wasn't too sure of the best way to do so/if it was likely I could even get it to him.  Oaktree has a contact us email address, but it is generic.  Does anyone have any insight on this or if he is receptive to such contact?

Thanks!

Hi all, I've written an essay on risk that was inspired by Howard Marks.  I was thinking of sending it to him (I mention him and his thoughts in the essay), but wasn't too sure of the best way to do so/if it was likely I could even get it to him.  Oaktree has a contact us email address, but it is generic.  Does anyone have any insight on this or if he is receptive to such contact?

Thanks!

Nope,..l don't have. But I haven't followed him/them lately. Now I'm surprised to see that they have an IPO of Oaktree.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2012/03/oaktree-ipo-to-bring-payday-for-howard-marks/

Thanks!

Without a direct email address the odds of it getting to him from some random "contact us" email address are slim to none.  Your best bet is to FedEx it to him.  Just overnight it to him at the main Oaktree address.  It will get to him that way, or his assistant anyway.  Remember too, he is busy and an important person, but he isn't the President of the United States.  He is just a guy in an office with dozens of people around him.  He isn't in an ivory tower.  So a FedEx will get to at least his assistant and if you're lucky he opens his own mail or at least goes through the stack his assistant places in his inbox.  Don't worry too about things being tossed or whatever.  That's paranoia.  It will be put in his pile, the only question is whether he ever bothers to look at it, but there's nothing you can do about that.  I've seen those stacks grow large.  Some of these guys though can't stand the clutter on their desk and go through things quickly.  Doesn't mean you will hear from him, but you might.

I was thinking physical mail would probably be the way to go, thanks for the advice.

No problem.  If you go that route, make sure you send it via Fed Ex, UPS, whatever.  It doesn't have to be overnight, you can choose the cheapest option and get someone to sign for it (costs a little extra).  Even in this day and age, while an overnight envelope doesn't quite signifiy the importance it once did, in my experience they are still handled better than just a regular mailed letter.  For one thing it's bigger and many assistants will open it up and paperclip the inside enclosure to the envelope so it takes up space and draws the eye to it.  It's worth the $10-20 in my opinion for best chance at getting it noticed.  Just my 2 cents.