Lionsgate Article

Parsad

I lost big too under your definition because I didn't own the stock. Did you own the stock? if not you lost BIG!

How is that my definition?  Icahn owned the stock...owned a ton of it...and then sold it because he lost the proxy fight.  Now the company is making a fortune.  Where exactly in that do you think your facetious comment fits in?

peter_burke_ceo:

--- Quote from: Parsad on Today at 11:25:02 AM ---

--- Quote from: peter_burke_ceo on Today at 05:42:20 AM ---I lost big too under your definition because I didn't own the stock. Did you own the stock? if not you lost BIG!

--- End quote ---

How is that my definition?  Icahn owned the stock...owned a ton of it...and then sold it because he lost the proxy fight.  Now the company is making a fortune.  Where exactly in that do you think your facetious comment fits in?

--- End quote ---

where exactly did he "lose" money? he sold last year at about break even to his cost basis. now the stock is up. when you sell a stock and it later goes up, did you lose "big"? He probably took the proceeds of that sale and made money with it. I know that CI is part of the Cabal that is "out to get" Ostck and Fairfax, but I think the headline is something that would fit on Business Insider and not an investor board which aspires to big ideas.

This quote must be preserved as it completely and utterly defines the argumentative, combative, dare I say pointless nature of peter burke's posts.

I lost big too under your definition because I didn't own the stock. Did you own the stock? if not you lost BIG!

where exactly did he "lose" money? he sold last year at about break even to his cost basis. now the stock is up. when you sell a stock and it later goes up, did you lose "big"? He probably took the proceeds of that sale and made money with it. I know that CI is part of the Cabal that is "out to get" Ostck and Fairfax, but I think the headline is something that would fit on Business Insider and not an investor board which aspires to big ideas.

Well that's your problem.  I've never said Icahn is part of any cabal.  That's your paranoia!  A few weeks ago, I posted an article on how John Paulsen sold all of his BAC stock before the recent rise.  Do I have an axe to grind with Paulsen?  No.

I put the article on there because I thought it was interesting how a small movie studio is now making such a killing, and he was driving a proxy to remove management because he thought they were incompetent and incapable of increasing shareholder value. 

Now let me ask you since you seem so damn defensive of Icahn...was he wrong on management?  Cheers!

Well, I am going to throw my 2 cents into this.

How many of "you" equity holders and shareholders out there in the investing universe have made "any money" from any Icahn-related investment?

For the last 16-17 years that I have been an active investor, I have never seen one scenario where Icahn has helped the company or its shareholders with his proxy war approach... Never!

I agree with Peter on this. If I sell something which goes on to double or triple, it may feel that I lost money by not holding on, but I actually didn't. I think that's all he was trying to point out.

I understand what Peter was trying to say.  My point was that he didn't have to say it the way he did.  He could have easily said "Sanj, I think the title may be misleading, because he actually didn't lose any money on the sale."  I would not have uttered a word.  Cheers! 

I think the title may be misleading, because he actually didn't lose any money on the sale.

-I agree with this statement. It seems when the headline is needlessly sensational, tempers tend to flare more quickly and people start calling other's names, which I thought was frowned upon. It is good that the headline was changed.

I lost a TON of money on APPLE, by the way. And the amount keeps going higher and higher! Dang it!

Cheers!

It is pretty hard if not impossible to defend Mr Icahn. His track record of what happens to companies after he gets his mitts on control is there for all to see. The track record of Peter Burke on this site is also there for all to see. I think Mr Burke and Carl are soul mates.  LOL

Well, I am going to throw my 2 cents into this.

How many of "you" equity holders and shareholders out there in the investing universe have made "any money" from any Icahn-related investment?

For the last 16-17 years that I have been an active investor, I have never seen one scenario where Icahn has helped the company or its shareholders with his proxy war approach... Never!

It is pretty hard if not impossible to defend Mr Icahn. His track record of what happens to companies after he gets his mitts on control is there for all to see. The track record of Peter Burke on this site is also there for all to see. I think Mr Burke and Carl are soul mates.  LOL

Either of you have anything readily accessible to back up your statements about Icahn? A good friend has a lot of faith in Icahn so I'd like to make him aware if he's making a big mistake.

Thanks in advance.

-M

General information for anyone wondering:

Peter Burke messaged me and said that he did not feel this forum was the right venue to express himself, and if I can terminate his account and delete all his posts.  I did not boot him out, but obliged his request.  Cheers!

Either of you have anything readily accessible to back up your statements about Icahn? A good friend has a lot of faith in Icahn so I'd like to make him aware if he's making a big mistake.

Thanks in advance.

-M

CI is worth north of 10 Billion and is self made, so clearly he has played the game decently. I think most of the statements made about his performance are more related to following him into investments like Lions Gate, Clorox, Yahoo, Blockbuster... He has had a decent amount of battles that did not work out in his favor and while I can't back the following statement up with any facts it seems like lately most of them have not gone in his favor, but feel free to correct me if anyone has other data. When you say your friend has "a lot of faith" in Icahn, do you mean he follows Icahn into his positions? Is an owner of Icahn Enterpirses (IEP)?

Thanks in advance.

-M

When you say your friend has "a lot of faith" in Icahn, do you mean he follows Icahn into his positions? Is an owner of Icahn Enterpirses (IEP)?

Both.

Thanks for the insights.

-M