Did iPad 3 Live Up To The Hype?

Parsad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I thought I would just see what expectations were like and how people reacted to the first product presentation apres the Steve Jobs era.  I thought they made standard improvements, but nothing gamechanging, and this is unfortunately what I think life will be like after Jobs.  Just no one to dream and push the team to almost unimagineable levels.  Cheers!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was nothing game changing. 

However, I will be buying an iPad in the near future, as well as the new AppleTV box.  I have been waiting for the Retina screen (it really does make a huge difference) and 4G connectivity.  I think that AirPlay mirroring via an Apple TV box (now with 1080p output) will be very useful to me as well. 

Basically, Apple came out with exactly what I wanted.  Now if only they were to come out with a 15" Macbook Air ;D

However, I will be buying an iPad in the near future, as well as the new AppleTV box.  I have been waiting for the Retina screen (it really does make a huge difference) and 4G connectivity.  I think that AirPlay mirroring via an Apple TV box (now with 1080p output) will be very useful to me as well. 

Basically, Apple came out with exactly what I wanted.  Now if only they were to come out with a 15" Macbook Air ;D

I always thought they had both a 13" and 15" Macbook Air.  They don't have a 15" one?  Cheers!

I always thought they had both a 13" and 15" Macbook Air.  They don't have a 15" one?  Cheers!

Nope, they only have a 15" Macbook Pro, which is what I currently have. 

One thing that I'm not sure you can get on a Macbook Air, though, is a matte screen, which is what I have on my Macbook Pro.  I prefer that to the glossy screen.  Easier on the eyes.

Guest Hester

I ordered one. Been waiting 2 years to get one... When I saw that the 2 didn't have the hi-rez screen, I decided to wait.

Me too, I'm glad I waited. This will actually be my first Apple product. On the engraving option on the back I put "Time to short AAPL"  :P

Me too, I'm glad I waited. This will actually be my first Apple product. On the engraving option on the back I put "Time to short AAPL"  :P

Nice.

On the back of mine I engraved:

Life is not about finding yourself.

It's about creating yourself.

I believe it's by George Bernard Shaw.

Guest valueInv

Apple pretty much delivered what the pundits were predicting, so yes, they did live up to the hype. However, they did not surprise with new features as they typically do.

Personally, I was surprised not to see a major revision to IOS. But they WWDC is a few months away and they are likely to rev it then. There are rumors of some major changes to the homescreen.

These days, they introduce innovations into the iPhone line first and these then flow to the iPad. This allows them to iron out the manufacturing problems at a smaller scale first. I expect a big change in the industrial design for the iPhone this year.

I ordered one. Been waiting 2 years to get one... When I saw that the 2 didn't have the hi-rez screen, I decided to wait.

Same here, for the same reason. I have never owned an Apple product or even considered purchasing one before this came out. Won't be surprised if their sales will be way beyond estimates, again.

It's pretty much what I expected, but still looks amazing with the retina screen. I have the original iPad and love it, and will consider trying to sell it and pick up one of these. Parsad, I don't really understand continually saying everything the company does now would've been different with Steve Jobs. You really think the new iPad would be much different with Jobs? I'm not sure you understand the production lifecycle of technology companies. Like the iPhone4S, the new iPad was most likely already largely planned out while Jobs was still around.

Not sure what people expect them to do with every new version of a product (an iPad that turns in to a toaster?).

I also think that the media and bloggers come up with such far fetched rumors about things that will be included in their products, that some people feel let down if stuff the media makes up aren't true.

I thought I would just see what expectations were like and how people reacted to the first product presentation apres the Steve Jobs era.  I thought they made standard improvements, but nothing gamechanging, and this is unfortunately what I think life will be like after Jobs.  Just no one to dream and push the team to almost unimagineable levels.  Cheers!

Honestly, it was exactly what I expected.  I was disappointed that the 2 didn't have the higher res (though since I had skipped the 1, I bought the 2 anyway--a year is a long time to wait).  I've already got a couple on order, the screen is *absolutely* want I wanted.  In fact, I don't know what could come out to make me want the next one...

Regarding the earlier two...I don't think there was really anything unexpected about *them* either...so I don't get people who say that this isn't "revolutionary".  Apple's entire bit is about taking the current evolution and just pushing things a bit, and refining them.  It's not about huge researchy breakthroughs, and anyone expecting that is kind of deluding themselves.  Apple isn't that kind of company, which does lend a bit more stability. 

Honestly, it was exactly what I expected.  I was disappointed that the 2 didn't have the higher res (though since I had skipped the 1, I bought the 2 anyway--a year is a long time to wait).  I've already got a couple on order, the screen is *absolutely* want I wanted.  In fact, I don't know what could come out to make me want the next one...

Regarding the earlier two...I don't think there was really anything unexpected about *them* either...so I don't get people who say that this isn't "revolutionary".  Apple's entire bit is about taking the current evolution and just pushing things a bit, and refining them.  It's not about huge researchy breakthroughs, and anyone expecting that is kind of deluding themselves.  Apple isn't that kind of company, which does lend a bit more stability.

That about sums up my thoughts exactly.

Apple Released their Configurator app it will further cannibalize blackberry in the small enterprise.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/07/apple-releases-configurator-app-for/

"Prepare devices

• Configure up to 30 devices at a time

• Update devices to the latest version of iOS

• Create and restore a backup of settings and app data from one device to other devices

• Import apps into Apple Configurator and sync them to new devices*

• Use the built-in editor to create and install iOS configuration profiles

• Enroll devices with your Mobile Device Management solution for remote management

Supervise devices

• Organize supervised devices into custom groups

• Automatically apply common configurations to supervised devices

• Quickly reapply a configuration to a supervised device and remove the previous user’s data

• Import apps into Apple Configurator and sync them to supervised devices*

• Define and apply common or sequential names to all devices

• Restrict supervised devices from syncing with other computers

Assign devices

•Add users and groups manually or autopopulate via Open Directory or Active Directory

• Check out a device to a user and restore the user’s settings and data on that device

•Check in a device from a user and and back up the data for later use, possibly on a different device

• Apply custom text, wallpaper, or the user’s picture to a device’s Lock screen

• Import and export documents between your Mac and Apple Configurator

• Sync documents between assigned devices and Apple Configurator

Guest valueInv

tablets are now in the ho hum category. there isn't going to be much you can do to surprise people or wow them anymore. apple just will settle for delighting them, while their competition tries to come out with something as good as the original Ipad.

Famous last words. Tablets are in their infancy, there's a lot more to come.

-Also, the iPhone 4S was the first product presentation after the Seve Jobs era. And after that presentation, you started a thread on here saying the 4S was an indication of what Apple will be like after Steve Jobs. And Apple sold around 40 million of the iPhone 4S last quarter, in what was one of the best quaters any business has ever had.

And the other thing people don't seem to be talking much about is the update to Apple TV. This thing looks sweet. Might finally need to get one of these. Tough to go wrong at only $99.

http://www.macworld.com/article/165810/2012/03/hands_on_with_apple_tv_software_update_5_0.html#lsrc.fb_mw

http://images.macworld.com/images/article/2012/03/appletvsoftware4vs5-586-274765.png

http://images.macworld.com/images/article/2012/03/appletv5iconview-586-274758.png

I have to be on Parsad side here, a great screen is not a game changer. Having the best technology does not make the best devices.

The 4GS was an Ok upgrade from the 4G with Siri. But so far I have not met anybody using it as a personal assistant like it was advertised. So who knows, maybe it won't pick-up as expected.

Also, I work in product development myself, and I can tell you that the vision of the leader has a huge impact on the success of the entreprise. Some companies will have billions of ideas but with little focus to each of them. Apple's great advantage was that it had very few well finished products.

BeerBaron

DCG, how is the reading experience over 1 hour? Is it a kindle substitute, or do you still get bleary eyed over time?

I set both the Kindle app and iBooks to sepia mode and think it's pretty easy on the eyes - not quite as good as the Kindle for straight reading, but I read for long periods of time on it.

I have to be on Parsad side here, a great screen is not a game changer. Having the best technology does not make the best devices.

Why does every iteration of a product have to be a game changer though? This is the third generation of the iPad, and there has yet to be a competitor to come out with a tablet that even rivals the original iPad.

The iPad itself was a game changer, and it's only been out a couple years. Now they have to continually improve it to make sure it remains the best tablet available, which they've accomplished so far.

Why does every iteration of a product have to be a game changer though? This is the third generation of the iPad, and there has yet to be a competitor to come out with a tablet that even rivals the original iPad.

The iPad itself was a game changer, and it's only been out a couple years. Now they have to continually improve it to make sure it remains the best tablet available, which they've accomplished so far.

It does not need to be a game changer at every iteration but every time you release a improved version that's not a game changer your competitors are getting closer.

Imagine widget A and widget B. Widget A is a game changer at year 0 and increasing it's consumer intrisic value at say 20% a year. Widget B is a copycat but since it's basically copying Widget B it can grow it's consumer intrinsic value at 30% starting from year 1.

Widget A        Widget B          Widget A/B

Year 0        100$              0$                    Infinite

Year 1        120$              50$                  240%               

Year 2        144$              65$                  222%

Year 3        172$              85$                  204%

Year 4        207$              110$                189%

So each year that is passing by the intrinsic consumer value differential is shrinking so is the pricing power. After 10 years the pricing power has became a commodity.

And to be honest I don't think the A/B after 3-4 years of iPad/Android is 189%, it's probably more like 150%, but's it's just an example to expose the facts. In the end everything is a toaster!

BeerBaron

Guest valueInv

It does not need to be a game changer at every iteration but every time you release a improved version that's not a game changer your competitors are getting closer.

Imagine widget A and widget B. Widget A is a game changer at year 0 and increasing it's consumer intrisic value at say 20% a year. Widget B is a copycat but since it's basically copying Widget B it can grow it's consumer intrinsic value at 30% starting from year 1.

Widget A        Widget B          Widget A/B

Year 0        100$              0$                    Infinite

Year 1        120$              50$                  240%               

Year 2        144$              65$                  222%

Year 3        172$              85$                  204%

Year 4        207$              110$                189%

So each year that is passing by the intrinsic consumer value differential is shrinking so is the pricing power. After 10 years the pricing power has became a commodity.

And to be honest I don't think the A/B after 3-4 years of iPad/Android is 189%, it's probably more like 150%, but's it's just an example to expose the facts. In the end everything is a toaster!

BeerBaron

Not quite. At year 4 there will be a whole lot of investment in widget A making for high switching costs. With more and more investment each year both on the part of customers and the ecosystem, A builds widens its moat. At the end of year 4, not only does A still have a 150% lead in terms of specs and features, it has a huge moat.

Why release the product every year then?  Anyone who thinks Jobs wasn't putting out products on an annual basis to hype it through marketing, has no clue what Jobs was trying to achieve.  He not only wanted his product to be above average, but innovative and a product that people could not live without...be it because of technology or be it because everyone would simply want one.  And then he would charge twice as much as anyone else, and rational people would still pay it. 

Apples's products aren't technologically advanced relative to their peers.  Where they are better than their peers is their ability to make technology as painless as possible...even enjoyable.  Jobs could sell you your own car for twice what you paid!  They sold 40M iPhone 4GS' because their competitors still haven't gotten to the point where their software is intuitive enough.  This iPad will also sell a ton simply because the product is so easy to use.  But the margin of separation will continue to decrease between Apple and their peers, and that's because the founder is no longer there and technology changes so much faster than any other industry.  Apple today isn't Walmart after Sam Walton, and only hindsight will prove that observation right or wrong.  Cheers!