Sydney - an expensive city?

shalab

The cost of living in Sydney is now almost 50 per cent higher than that of global business centre New York

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/about-town/think-sydney-is-expensive-youre-right-20120214-1t3jl.html#ixzz1mL94uBTN

Thats shocking. ---

Melbourne is costly, as well. I have definitely noticed lol.

While Melbourne basks in the title of the world's most liveable city (according to the Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Ranking), the privilege of living in Melbourne comes at a high price. Melbourne has been ranked the eighth most expensive city in the world

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/about-town/think-sydney-is-expensive-youre-right-20120214-1t3jl.html#ixzz1mL9BAE4L

heading to sydney in oct - just received email from another couple who booked condo in manly ( across the harbour) and they were commenting at the high cost - i was there in march and can't say that i noticed costs being outrageous but then my perception might have been clouded trying to keep up to the aussies downing beer

This is a strange comment for the cost of living, given that you don't earn or spend US dollars in Australia:

"The cost of a loaf of bread in Sydney has almost doubled in the past decade in US dollar terms, while petrol prices have risen threefold and rice prices have almost quadrupled," Mr Copestake said.

Perhaps they really mean "cost of tourism for Americans"?

In US dollar terms, median household incomes for Australians are much higher than they are for Americans.  They don't point this out.

In fact, I think you'd find that Australian incomes have doubled in US dollar terms in the past 10 years.

So I suppose I could write an article about how the cost of living has plummeted in the US the past 10 years, in Australian dollar terms.