The 400% Man!

Parsad

folks this might sound naive

400% return what does that mean?

what is his annualized return?

does that mean if he has 80mil aum that means 20mil is the starting point?

would like to know the annuazlied return #, going from 20mil to 80mil can be done in many different ways (1 awesome 2011 year?)

not saying that is the case, just wondering what his annuazlied return is, just saying 400 AUM  is not complete

Best to contact them directly for clarification and more information if regarding performance, structure, etc.  Cheers!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mecham attended a community college and the University of Utah for two years -- but soon after starting an investment club, he says, he found his schoolwork boring by comparison. He would read books about investing and business. "I was 19," he recalls. "I was staying up till 3:30 a.m. devouring this stuff."

It's almost like I'm looking in a mirror!

Great and interesting story!

Yup, pretty much the same.  I remember I was in my last year of University, and my Dad had just died.  I didn't like being up there at the campus, as he worked there and I would see him every day.  Just the same memories every day!  In my lectures I would be reading investing books, and then just showing up to write the biology, biochem exams after cramming and memorizing the entire textbook a week before.  My mind was completely elsewhere.  I quit shortly after that to go work, because I felt I needed to help my Mom and 9-year old brother after my Dad died. 

Now over 20 years later, I cannot put investing books, 10-Q's, 10-K's, articles on investing, etc down at all.  Crazy!  I think part of it has to do with the school system not recognizing and nurturing the interests of students.  I was always interested in money...even as a young boy.  I like the idea of creating schools that hone a students keenest interest.  Allow them to study only that subject at their own pace.  I've read and studied more on my own, than I ever did in all my years of formal schooling.  Just never the subjects I was being taught in school!  ;D  Cheers!

Tha, I have exactly the same feelings toward formal schooling and my relationship with it compared to what now feels like my true passion.

While not comparable to your story, I feel like this school system has numbed me in some way. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have started my higher education. Hoping to learn more on business, accounting and economics I got terribly disappointed. Most of what I learnt was about law, insurance (which was "ok") and very basic classes on subjects that interested me only a little. The first year was managable, but in the second I read Graham and Buffett and I got hooked! Like you said, from then on my mind has been elsewhere. Tbh, the "big" portfolio gains haven't been helpful either in keeping my intrested in dull classes.

I could have spent that time earning money and learning more of what I really enjoy, but it is too late to quit now as I have only one semester to go without any classes (not that I ever attended any...). So in the meantime now I can work on growing my capital. :D And any work will do, I'm not picky. As only work for an independent mutual fund or as an entrepreneur (to give two examples) would give me satisfaction, the other options are like choosing between the plague and cholera. I'd almost rather do a simple job and use the rest of my time efficiently than doin an unfulfilling harder job that pays more but requires a lot of time and effort that I could use for something else. Does that make sense?

Getting your degree is important.  It tells people you are qualified.  But you will learn a lot more once you are out in the field working.

When I was in school, emotionally I was devastated attending each day after my Dad died.  Then I would go home and my mother was emotionally numb and sleeping all the time.  My little brother didn't understand what was going on with my Dad gone, and I felt I needed to spend more time with him.  Glad I did, because twenty two years later and I think he turned out to be a terrific guy!  He just got engaged two months ago, and our whole family is all keen about the big wedding in September.  Very proud of him!  And I made sure he got his degree!  ;D  Cheers!   

Must have been hard Parsad. But looks like you all turned out ok in the end.  :)

Jup, I know it is important as sort of a 'ticket' and that's why I'm biting through. It just doesn't tell the whole picture in my view and sadly a lot of people aren't half as qualified as you would expect them to be considering their education.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to working full-time and learning more interesting things on the go. I'll get my value out of my education one way or the other!

will contact him would like to know the details

i have over 15% annualized return over 9 yrs and i don't have 400% of gain :)

That's because he returned 15.9% annualized over 11.5 years!  ;D  If you keep it going for another two years, you'll be there.  Cheers!

Good article and great performance by Allan.

Now, not necessarily an apples to apples comparison but the latest issue of Fortune has info about Baupost from 1999 to 2011 and the net return appears to be 500% so better than Arlington.  Baupost has the advantage of using more vehicules than Allan but also has to deal with managing much more money.

• 1 year later...

hey berkshire, I think he was under $100 million for a long time. Don't assets have to be over $100 million to have the 13f? I might be totally wrong about that though.

hey berkshire, I think he was under $100 million for a long time. Don't assets have to be over $100 million to have the 13f? I might be totally wrong about that though.

Sure they have to be over $100m for a 13f filing,... Allan has to file now, because he is currently at $205 AUM in equities.

Thanks. Yep, as of early last year he was around $80 million according to posts earlier in this thread.

By the way, I read your other post as "haven't found earlier" rather than looked. My bad!