The 400% Man!

Parsad

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

Paul,

In way, it's beyond me, why you're interested in people, who have [basically] folded, and closed up shop. What value do you get out of the information about the late innings?

There was a lot of value to be gained by reading about Buffett and why/when he closed up shop.  You should let your curiosity take you places sometimes, John. 😉

1 hour ago, John Hjorth said:

Paul,

In way, it's beyond me, why you're interested in people, who have [basically] folded, and closed up shop. What value do you get out of the information about the late innings?

37 minutes ago, stahleyp said:

There was a lot of value to be gained by reading about Buffett and why/when he closed up shop.  You should let your curiosity take you places sometimes, John. 😉

I agree, post mortem analysis is very revealing and healthy. Its always worth doing a post mortem on any investment successful and unsuccessful. Did your thesis turn out right or were you just lucky? 

I have studied Allan for quite some time and really like his style. I hope things have turned out well for him. But anything we learned and shared is education for all. 

^The fund and manager of the fund were interesting.

The third party logistics operator ideas (and others) were helpful.

But the exercise reminds of the phenomenon that occurs when there is an accident on the highway and when people not directly involved slow down (to watch). Some say they want to learn and others are just curious. But it's possible that there is a side of us that is affected by morbid curiosity. i guess that's the part that John doesn't appreciate. Some people call this rubbernecking.

Rubbernecking - Wikipedia

Edited by Cigarbutt

Yeah I don't know if it's "rubbernecking". I genuinely like Allan and thinks he's the real deal (I mean, who else missed the dot com bubble and made money in 2008?). I will say that I'd be interested if he ever started managing money again. I'd also say I'm interested in seeing if he outperformed since inception to finish date. I mean, if he can't beat the market, why should I try?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder (but am too lazy) to calculate what the returns would be since Q1 2020. But I'm reminded of the unfortunate timing whenever I see names like Auto Nation just thundering updwards. A lot of his holdings have done really well. Auto Nation, Wayfair - even Berkshire, Jefferies and Spectrum Brands have been working, while Alliance Data Systems and Cimpress aren't doing too bad either. Hopefully his LP's sticked around for some time.