Maybe Apple's The Next Berkshire!

Parsad

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the anti-trust zone Apple.  Enjoy the soon-to-arrive government minders.

Well, they can at least be thankful that Android has bigger market share.  But, they are now a walking target like MSFT was for every competitor and litigator in existence.  Sometimes wish I could bring myself to invest in momo stocks. 

Welcome to the anti-trust zone Apple.  Enjoy the soon-to-arrive government minders.

Well, they can at least be thankful that Android has bigger market share.

I find it's much more useful to compare companies and their market shares on the basis of the difference in market share rather than who's absolute first, second, etc.

In this case, Apple according to the latest Nielsen report has 45% share and Android has 47% share.

Guest valueInv

One moment everyone is talking about how Apple is losing share, declining after losing its visionary, is no longer relevant, etc.

Next moment they're in the anti-trust zone? Which one is it?

From the conference call:

Tim: I wouldn't classify it like Mac and Windows at all. The Mac has outgrown the market for over 20 quarters in a row, but still has a single-digit percentage of the worldwide market whereas iOS, if you look at phones and tablets and iPod touch, we've sold over 315 million iOS devices

If you look at the NPD data, it shows in the US, and this is just looking at October & November, so part of our launch in October and all of it in November, it shows iPhone at 43% and Android at 47% the Nielsen data from a few days ago shows iPhone at 45% versus Android at 47% Comscore data that came out on October/November shows iPhone at 42% and Android at 41% it seems that all of the data from the US would seem it's a very close race for iPhone, and I think on the iPad side, I think all of us inherently believe the iPad is way ahead there's really no comparable product to the iPod touch out there I wouldn't say it's a two-horse race.

There's a horse in Redmond that always suits up and always runs and will keep running

So what we focus on is innovating and making the world's best products. We'll just keep doing that and somewhat ignore how many horses there are.

One moment everyone is talking about how Apple is losing share, declining after losing its visionary, is no longer relevant, etc.

Next moment they're in the anti-trust zone? Which one is it?

Well, I do suspect that the loss of Jobs will hurt in the long run and the firm is due for an anti-trust probe.  So, a little from column A and a little from column B.

Remember when Gates had to go infront of Congress?

As crazy as it sounds right now with their revenue and NEt - Apple doesn't have a monopoly the way Microsoft did back in the day.

As crazy as it sounds right now with their revenue and NEt - Apple doesn't have a monopoly the way Microsoft did back in the day.

Neither did Microsoft.  Obviously the barriers to entry were overstated!

Microsoft was way closer to a monopoly at that time Compared to Apple today.

Depends on how you see it. Some might argue that the fact that a user on iTunes cannot take it's songs library and transfer it into another system is a monopoly. Or that you can't buy the apps outside their environment makes the software suppliers captive and unable to compete properly.

BeerBaron

History suggests that there was no (edit: impenetrable) monopoly on personal computers.  There was a monopoly on Windows software, but there's a monopoly on the Coke recipe too.  Yet there is Pepsi, and Apple.

Nothing the government did led to the success of Google and Apple.  That was innovation.

History suggests that there was no (edit: impenetrable) monopoly on personal computers.  There was a monopoly on Windows software, but there's a monopoly on the Coke recipe too.  Yet there is Pepsi, and Apple.

Nothing the government did led to the success of Google and Apple.  That was innovation.

If I remember correctly it wasnt actually the windows software itself rather how Windows Operating software and its arteries were installed on most all PCs out of the box.

If I remember correctly it wasnt actually the windows software itself rather how Windows Operating software and its arteries were installed on most all PCs out of the box.

Well, this is a long discussion.

But in 1995 I got my first PC and it was out of a retail store (installed) that provided me a PC with dual boot Windows 95 and Linux!

Yes!  Right out of a retail store.  Fully 3 years before the antitrust BS.  So consumers who wanted Linux could find it.  But they didn't want it!  I sought it out and found it.

I bought a few AAPL Jul12 395 calls on Monday.  Very high premium, so risky - calls down interday today - obviously will be up tomorrow.  Trying to decide whether to actually hold them, though I'd just intended to "flip" after earnings release.  Sort of like house-flipping, but also like picking up quarters in front of train if one guesses wrong.  I did the same last week with MSFT calls.  10% 1 day return on that one but keeps my anxiety level high for that 1 overnight hold!

Guest valueInv

Imagine an independent Coca Cola bottler deciding to sell Pepsi adds on the Coke cans.

That's like Compaq wanting to install Netscape links on the Windows desktop.

Windows is a platform, it is mean to run other things and is useless if you don't run applications on it.

A Coke can (filled with Coke) is a complete product in itself and is not a platform.

Monopoly is decided by marketshare. What was Window's share of PC OSes during the antitrust suits?