OT: Any Boxing Fans?

Parsad

I've watched boxing about as long as I've watched hockey, soccer, tennis and football.  HBO has a terrific sports documentary called 24/7, which usually focuses on boxing, but has recently focused on hockey as well.  Actor Liev Schreiber narrates, and 24/7 has won numerous awards over the years.

They've just started a shorter six-part series on boxing trainer Freddie Roach, who was a fighter turned trainer, and has taught some of the best boxers in the last decade.  Roach suffers from Parkinson's and the new six-part series focuses solely on him...arguably the greatest trainer in boxing history with the number of world champions he's coached in such a short span.  This series actually has no narration, except for the occasional comments by Roach himself. 

The first episode was on tonight, and I have to say it's probably one of the most poignant sports documentaries I have ever seen.  A brave, but sad undertone, to the distinguished career Roach has established in the world of boxing.  A man who doesn't feel cheated, but actually fortunate to do what he does every day, and will continue as long as his body can hold out.  Great documentary!  Anyway, I thought I would give any members who enjoy sports a heads up.  Cheers!

Sanjeev, which current fighters do you like the most?

I was watching ShoBox on Friday, so I watch some new talent as well. Boxing is the only sport I watch regularly these days, so I tend to watch a lot of what's showing on Saturday nights.

I think Mike Tyson is living a much better life now. It looks like he's beaten his demons. I'm glad he was inducted into the boxing HOF.

Sanjeev, which current fighters do you like the most?

I was watching ShoBox on Friday, so I watch some new talent as well. Boxing is the only sport I watch regularly these days, so I tend to watch a lot of what's showing on Saturday nights.

I think Mike Tyson is living a much better life now. It looks like he's beaten his demons. I'm glad he was inducted into the boxing HOF.

Like everyone, I'm waiting for the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight.  Would have been the biggest fight in the last 30 years if Pacquaio didn't look a bit vulnerable against Marquez.  It will still be big.  I'm a Mayweather fan...he's a douche, but a fantastic technical fighter.  Amir Khan is a great technical fighter, but he's got a suspect chin. 

This kid Gary Russell Jr. looks like he may be a serious up and coming contender in featherweight.  Boxers move up and down so much now in weight class, that he could be a threat in a couple of weight classes with the skills he has.

In regards to Tyson, I remember watching his fight against Michael Spinks live on a big screen with my father like 24-25 years ago or so, and Spinks' knees were shaking in the corner before the fight began.  Tyson was terrifying back then, not the shadow of the figure he became years later.  He was actually a very good straight ahead fighter, and would walk right at you and duck just before you swung, and come up flying with uppercuts and body blows.  That fight lasted like 80 seconds! 

He was a troubled person, criminal no less, but few fighters have cut such a figure in boxing.  He was the size of Joe Frazier, but had the power of a young George Foreman.  He was quicker than both in his prime when Gus Da Matto, his adoptive father/trainer, had him focused.  Today, he's comic relief in movies, but back then there was no one boxers feared more than Tyson.  And it truly was a legitimate fear at the time!  Cheers!

Like everyone, I'm waiting for the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight.  Would have been the biggest fight in the last 30 years if Pacquaio didn't look a bit vulnerable against Marquez.  It will still be big.  I'm a Mayweather fan...he's a douche, but a fantastic technical fighter.  Amir Khan is a great technical fighter, but he's got a suspect chin. 

This kid Gary Russell Jr. looks like he may be a serious up and coming contender in featherweight.  Boxers move up and down so much now in weight class, that he could be a threat in a couple of weight classes with the skills he has.

In regards to Tyson, I remember watching his fight against Michael Spinks live on a big screen with my father like 24-25 years ago or so, and Spinks' knees were shaking in the corner before the fight began.  Tyson was terrifying back then, not the shadow of the figure he became years later.  He was actually a very good straight ahead fighter, and would walk right at you and duck just before you swung, and come up flying with uppercuts and body blows.  That fight lasted like 80 seconds! 

He was a troubled person, criminal no less, but few fighters have cut such a figure in boxing.  He was the size of Joe Frazier, but had the power of a young George Foreman.  He was quicker than both in his prime when Gus Da Matto, his adoptive father/trainer, had him focused.  Today, he's comic relief in movies, but back then there was no one boxers feared more than Tyson.  And it truly was a legitimate fear at the time!  Cheers!

Russell Jr has some really quick hands. Too bad they're brittle, but yes, he could be a real force with his skills. I'm looking forward to the Nonito Donaire vs Vasquez Jr fight in a couple weeks. Also, Berto vs Ortiz.

Michael Spinks lost that fight way before it even started! He was so scared. Tyson's "peek a boo" style was fun to watch.

Mike Tyson's Punchout!!! was my favourite video game at the time.  I was so determined to beat Tyson in that game. He was so hard to beat in that game. I played that game a lot.

Here's one for all the fans:  Haggler V. Hearns.  The Greatest fight of all time?  Maybe.  The greatest boxing match I ever saw - No doubt about it!

The HBO story on it

Enjoy!

Hagler vs Hearns was a good fight, but have you seen Corrales vs Castillo 1? I think this is the best fight I've seen. Here's the final round:

Russell Jr has some really quick hands. Too bad they're brittle, but yes, he could be a real force with his skills. I'm looking forward to the Nonito Donaire vs Vasquez Jr fight in a couple weeks. Also, Berto vs Ortiz.

I ordered the Ortiz-Mayweather fight, and watched all of the 24/7's running up to it.  I like Ortiz...incredibly nice kid!  But he was way overmatched with Mayweather.  The almost suckerpunch by Mayweather wasn't the way I would have liked to see that fight end, but Ortiz was losing all the rounds until that punch anyway.

I actually thought the best fight I've seen in the last year was the Pacquaio-Marquez tilt.  Alot of people didn't like it, but I thought it was a great technical fight.  Marquez is probably one of the best counterpunchers in the last decade.  I thought it was a draw or Marquez barely won.  I didn't think Pacquaio won that fight. 

Haven't seen that fight between Corrales and Castillo.  Cheers! 

I thought Pacquiao/Marquez 3 was a great technical fight as well.  However, I can't help but think that Nacho Beristain (Marquez Manager) purposely was telling JMM he was winning the fight in the last 2 rounds which caused Marquez to cruise and not engage in the last 2 rounds.  With the money involved in a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight the risk was too large for them to allow a chance of an upset in the fight with Marquez.  I think Marquez was not involved in any shenanigans but his manager had to have been.

I thought Pacquiao/Marquez 3 was a great technical fight as well.  However, I can't help but think that Nacho Beristain (Marquez Manager) purposely was telling JMM he was winning the fight in the last 2 rounds which caused Marquez to cruise and not engage in the last 2 rounds.  With the money involved in a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight the risk was too large for them to allow a chance of an upset in the fight with Marquez.  I think Marquez was not involved in any shenanigans but his manager had to have been.

Yeah, combine that with the fact the trainer Beristain got Marquez was the fellow indicted alongside that doctor who supplied Barry Bonds et al with 'roids.  Not sure the ethics were all there with the manager and training staff.  Marquez himself seems like a very decent guy though.  Cheers!